Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jamaica kiteboarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Oct 04, 06 8:26 pm    Jamaica kiteboarding Reply with quote

I'm headed to a resort called Beaches Boscobel next week for a 1.5 weeks. My wife booked the trip and I have no idea where its at on the island. I am trying to locate on Mapquest.

Question: Has anyone been there? Is it worth taking my kite gear? Does it blow this time of the year?

Thanks

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 04, 06 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Bill, looks like Boscobel is in Ocho Rios on the northeastern side of Jamaica. I know there is a good kiting spot about 30 min from Montego Bay near Falmouth called Bounty Bay (see kitebeaches.com for info and directions). Not sure how far of a drive from Ocho Rios. Post some pics if you are able to get some riding in! Very Happy

Jamaica Map
 Jamaica Map  jamaica.gif 

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Oct 05, 06 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Bill,

I was there a couple years ago just as i was getting into kiting. I didnt want to bring my pole boarding equipment and wasnt good enough to justify bring the kite gear. I was there in late August and it was windy almost everyday with solid white caps. i would say between 15-25 mph. i was in Montego Bay.

I think Brian of Brians windsurfing school in HR winters there and would be a good resource for wind and spots.

enjoy the Rum!!!

Ryan

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 05, 06 9:32 am     Reply with quote

IVE BEEN THERE!!!!!!!!! I had to for go my trip to texas to go to a weding. For What I understand it only blows on the north part of the island. I took my kite and got in but it was DEVIL WIND!!!!!! It was spring. Scary and scetcy HOLY SHIT Style Twisted Evil , however, I was told that it was not normal. The trade winds usally even out.

My suggestion is to make sure you have a car, don't fall into the trap about taking a cab everywhere, you'll loose your ass. The drivers are super super freaking aggresive, I mean nascar style!!!!!!!!! Just be mellow, pay attention, they run radar there, but you'll notice that the cops have five friends with them at all times.

There govenment feels that weed has been one of the downfalls of there society and they have a zero tolerance, no bullshit mandatory jail time attitude towards weed. But get as drunk as you want.

The freeway goes runs on the north side of the island pretty close to the beach. THere are beaches that are nice between montego bay and ocho re-os, however there are nicer "locals" beaches between Discovery bay and ocho reos for . There on the road you cant miss them. Between kinston and falmouth there is some big hotels going up, you can kite there, But I couldn't figure out how.

If you google Brians windsurfing and give that guy a call, he should be able to help you.

DONT JUST KITE ANYWHERE THE PLACE IS SUPER REEFY!!!!!!!!! but the beaches that are nice are really nice.

Don't worry about the locals, they get pushy but just be polite and ask them there name, treat them like friends and they will quit haselling you, plus some of there are really funny. If someone offers to carry your board, its going to cost money. Beer is only a buck if you use the american dollar, just bring lots of ones and fives. The more you get away from the tourism places the better. Beer will be five bucks at the airport, 4 bucks out side, three on the road, two way out of town and one on the beach with the locals. Redstripe is the cheapest, for good reason. Jamican money hardly means anything. They like americans for the most part, so don't worry about that. THe rum factory tours don't really exist anymore.

Make sure that you have a small support crew to keep the locals out of the lines. Sometimes the kids get a little exciited and want to help buy jumping in and out of the line sof you kites. For the most part, the food is good if a local pretairs it for you. You can go to some of the fishing villages and buy right off the boat. They haggle, so once again bring ones and fives.

let me know if you have any more questions

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Oct 05, 06 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks for the information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: