Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need a tug- ask a kiter
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jun 03, 12 7:39 pm    Need a tug- ask a kiter Reply with quote

We all know that kiters go to great lengths to lend a helping hand to water men in distress but today I saw the best example yet!

A full size keeled sail boat (24-27'?) ran hard aground on the new white salmon sand bar today. They tried to get off by heeling the boat and running the engine but they were stuck.

So after 1/2 hour of them trying to get off along comes a kiter on a 12M Cabrina and yells to them to throw out a bow line. He grabs the line and I guess ties it to his harness and heads out into the channel.

The line tensions up and sure enough the boat starts to move forward. After a couple of minutes the kiter had pulled them off the bar.

Pretty amazing...

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 03, 12 8:10 pm    I wasn't there and Reply with quote

this the first I heard of. Let me guess, it was Sean Sean?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Jun 03, 12 11:14 pm    Re: I wasn't there and Reply with quote

HRnico wrote:
this the first I heard of. Let me guess, it was Sean Sean?

Could be Sean but I don't think so because of the Cabrinha kite but I would like to know who did because that's pretty badass.

There is a sailor/kiter named Darren, married to Jodi, who kites Cabrinha and keeps a boat in the marina so this sounds like something he would do. Sorry, don't know his last name.....or it could have been Jodi. She kites better than all of us. Smile

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 03, 12 11:22 pm     Reply with quote

Free tug jobs on the White Salmon sandbar, Nice Razz

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 03, 12 11:58 pm     Reply with quote

maybe this could be a lesson for people wanting to get into kiteing. The kite HAS enough power to pull a boat off a sand bar when the motor can't... hence take lessons Smile

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 12 6:03 am     Reply with quote

I would bet that this sailor would not hesitate to help a kiter out in the future.

Shout Out to the Kiter whoever he/she is. Good Job!

Cool story.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 12 7:00 am     Reply with quote

I was there when he decided to do it. I thought well if anyone can do it, it would be Ron. He's one of those guys that just excels at whatever he tries. Sure enough the bowline came out of the water and the boat started chugging forward. Props Ron!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 12 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Any video ? Very Happy

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 12 8:05 am     Reply with quote

There was a guy with a huge telephoto lens on the sand bar. I don't know if he got any pics?

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 12 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:
I was there when he decided to do it. I thought well if anyone can do it, it would be Ron. He's one of those guys that just excels at whatever he tries. Sure enough the bowline came out of the water and the boat started chugging forward. Props Ron!

woo hoo! the columbia city cabrinha compadres done good! I know you order those cabrinas by the dozen down there. With this act I'm sure you secured yourself a sponsor deal!! If that's not proof of low end power, what then? Way to go Ron!!

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Bo

Since 29 May 2011
15 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 12 10:28 am    Good job Ron!!! Reply with quote

Yesterday we spent the day kiteboarding in Hood River. I have to share a story with you about "Ron the Most Interesting Man in the World!!!!" So here's how it went down.... Kevin, Ron and I were west of the event site over by the railroad bridge. There was a sail boat that didn't appear to be moving at all. they were in a bad location in the river, we know how the rollers and chop can get over on the Washington side when the wind is ripping. As we got closer we could see they were ran aground and the wind had them tipped over on its side, and almost in the water. The husband and wife were going back and forth trying to save the boat and themselves. They had there motor down as far as it would go and it was still out of the water. "Ron The Most Interesting Man in the World!!!" went over to the boat an had them throw him a rope that was tied off to the boat. He put the rope around his waist and pulled them off of whatever they were on. Saving them and the boat from utter-destruction!!!! He untied the rope and threw it back at the boat. Kevin and I couldn't believe what we had just saw. So now to summarize, Kevin and I think that the most interesting man in the world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8oJ0oEN70 has nothing on "Ron The Most Interesting Man in the World!!!"

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 12 10:41 am    Re: Good job Ron!!! Reply with quote

Bo wrote:
He put the rope around his waist and pulled them off of whatever they were on. Saving them and the boat from utter-destruction!!!! He untied the rope and threw it back at the boat.

one handed knot tying even! oh wait.., those cabrinhas fly themselves... so both hands were freed up no doubt Wink

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 04, 12 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Niiiiice. i dont think i even have the core strength to think about doing something like that. Good job Ron

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 04, 12 12:29 pm    Re: Good job Ron!!! Reply with quote

Bo wrote:
"Ron The Most Interesting Man in the World!!!"

Great story and an amazing feat. . .But I'm sorry to inform you that Rollo Tomasi has already been labeled the Most interesting Man/Kiter in the World

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-25432.html&highlight=

rollo.JPG 

Spider Monkey

Since 15 Jul 2007
36 Posts
Columbia City

PostMon Jun 04, 12 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

Good job Ron! Way to represent!

Rosy1

Since 04 Jun 2012
1 Posts
Columbia City, Oregon

PostMon Jun 04, 12 5:26 pm    Ron's Rescue Reply with quote

I've been down many rivers with Ron and I swear, there has always been a rescue of some sort. I have pictures of him plucking people and boats off of rocks, snags and eddies; plus I have memories of him plucking me out of coffee pot when my kyak fllipped on the Rogue River. When I push my boat into the morning current, there's no one I'd rather live next too. Those people were lucky to get stuck here.

Surf Dude

Since 04 Jul 2008
73 Posts
Mosier, OR

PostSat Jun 09, 12 8:54 am    Jerry helped boaters Reply with quote

Kudos to Ron! But not the first boat helped by a kiter. A couple of summers ago I witnessed Jerry help Native Americans adrift with a faulty motor in the Columbia River between the White Salmon Bridge and the Event Site. Jerry boarded the run-about with his kite and maneuvered the boat to shore on the Washington side. Awesome kiting skills and lots of good will!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: