Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

so... umm... yeah- i'm new- don't laugh too hard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bajnhmj

Since 18 Aug 2006
9 Posts

Kook

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:28 pm    so... umm... yeah- i'm new- don't laugh too hard. Reply with quote

I don't want to break myself or my stuff, so I am going to ask this question BEFORE pumping up the kite...

I recently acquired an 03 SS and bar from a friend. I have taken a couple of lessons and am familiar with the rigging of the kites I've flown, but each kite is different- so here's my question:

The left line attaches to a ring and the bar came with a leash attached to the same ring. In the interest of safety and being able to ditch the whole thing in the even that it goes horribly awry, where should the other end of the leash be attached?? And please correct me if i'm wrong, but with a trim cleat, you pull in the front lines to allow more wind to escape the canopy...right?

I think I'm prepared for the laughter... so let it flow! If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at??

DSC01335.JPG 

skydiveblake

Since 28 Jun 2006
63 Posts
San Diego

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

No one is laughing at you. Please get another lesson, or you will surely die - with any luck, you won't take anyone with you.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Careful with that outdated bar too, the shackle on the chicken loop can get fouled on itself when you release it.

Another lesson sounds paramount and some more modern gear wouldn't hurt!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

Get a newer leash with a release that is hooked to your spreader clip loop since you are using rear/steer line leash. That leash has no safety release, unles you get a shackle to clip it to, but a new leash would be cheaper. Most here who have ridden for years have at one time used that leash. Now days it is considered not up to par, as far as leashes go. good luck, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

and get a new leader for the right side , no knots is nice. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by registered on Wed Sep 27, 06 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Alright, you pretty much have it right. White knob shortens your FRONT lines, depowering the kite fully. It's more of just a general adjustment though, do it once and then manipulate the power with the bar. That clip on your leash attaches to your harness normally, so when you release the bar the kite is killed to one line but still attached to you.

What I would do, and this is coming from an instructor, is get one more lesson with the gear you now have. That way you can not only get skilled on the gear you'll use eveyday, but the instructor can check things like the safety, rigging, line wear, etc.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, good point. Get a newer leash with a release. I've used mine too, and once is all it takes

bajnhmj

Since 18 Aug 2006
9 Posts

Kook

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:51 pm    perfect Reply with quote

And I realized I forgot to mention that I am NOT planning on just launching the kite and learning on my own. I will most likely take lessons until the instructors refuse my $!! Smile

The new leash comments are exactly what I was thinking. That's why I posted the question- it just didn't seem safe having something hard-lined to me. The way I figured it, free kite + lessons = beat the crap outta the free kite and then buy a good one.

Wow you guys are quick on this forum- appreciate the tips everyone!

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 27, 06 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

the item you are seeking is the slingshot surefire spreader bar. poke around and you'll find it.

this is a spreader bar / leash combo that works with any harnass. the leash releases under load. the harnass hook also releases under load (effectively negating concerns about the chicken loop QR)

i rode a fair bit with that exact set-up. imho just ditch the simple clip leash, use the leash that's integrated into the ss spreader, and treat the QR on the chicken loop as "double-emergency back-up" and you're all good.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Sep 27, 06 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
the item you are seeking is the slingshot surefire spreader bar. poke around and you'll find it.

this is a spreader bar / leash combo that works with any harnass. the leash releases under load. the harnass hook also releases under load (effectively negating concerns about the chicken loop QR)

i rode a fair bit with that exact set-up. imho just ditch the simple clip leash, use the leash that's integrated into the ss spreader, and treat the QR on the chicken loop as "double-emergency back-up" and you're all good.

I disagree about getting the slingshot surefire spreader bar. I think the Slingshot Surefire Bungee will serve better as a replacement leash. Just make sure it's long enough to reach comfortably from the end of the floater to your harness.

I don't like the Surfire spreader bar because I've broken two of them, and even when dealing with the Slingshot Rep. it was fairly obvious that they break more than desired and he didn't hold them in the highest esteem. The first time I broke one I was using the "shackled" mode when the chicken loop should not come out of the hook, but the little metal piece holding the hook down broke off and I ended up unhooked all of a sudden (could be dangerous when you're not expecting it). The second time the metal rod connecting the hook to the rest of the spreader bar simply snapped off in the middle of a jump. Again I ended up involuntarily unhooked, except this time the INTEGRATED SAFETY LEASH came off with the hook since it sits on the rod that snapped off. Needless to say I was unpleasantly surprised when the kite got ripped out of my hands and the safety leash went with it. (The kite went into a kiteloop at the top of the jump because I was only hanging on with one hand on the side of the bar after the unhooking.)

Obviously, I am pretty aggressive with my gear and abuse the spreader bar more than a beginner would (due to jumps, etc.), but I just wouldn't recommend getting a product that doesn't seem to be up to safety standards. Plus it retails for over $100 (around $150 I think), which is more than a spreader bar and safety leash should cost.

Good luck with learning to kiteboard, and remember to stay safe.

PS I love and use lots of other Slingshot gear, but the Surefire Spreader Bar just didn't cut it for me.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Sep 27, 06 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

I'd have to agree about NOT running the Slingy Surefire spreader bar too (and I love SS stuff), but as everyone else has said, get a new leash with an emergency release (the new '06/07 SS one is clean, but definately isn't as tough as the '05).

And also, depending on how long you're planning on using this bar setup, you may want to think about upgrading the chicken loop... The one that's currently on it will for surely work, but it's kind of dated. For some reason there's no lower stopper ball..? That's not a huge issue either as one could be added, but if you're going that far, you might just want to change out everything up to your front lines. The '04/05 SS "Clip & Ride" would work awesome (what came factory on my '05 bars), especially since you aren't running a 5th line, but the '06/07 SS "Lock-N-Load" is a nice piece too (their emergency releases were improved dramatically over what you've got).

I dunno, just something to think about... Here's a few old pics if you aren't sure what I'm talking about.

My '05 4 line bar on top... JP's '05 Oneline bar on bottom. The '05 Oneline upgrade utilizes the OEM Clip & Ride, so as you can see, the emergency release is the same.

The '06 (and basically '07) Lock-N-Load which JP now has on his Oneline bar. Sorry don't have my own picture with the bar...

Here's the old post if you wish to read more in depth:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-1142.html&highlight=slingshot+oneline

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 27, 06 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Also for safety, rig a 5th line, or try and make a center line re ride system, that will work a little better. I would recomend just buying a new bar, already set up for fith line. You will be stoked you did later.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Sep 28, 06 5:57 am     Reply with quote

What ever you do don't use the 06 slingy chicken set up in kats second photo. The chicken line is very thin and not nearly up to snuff. get a 05 one if you can , but I would go with the surefire spreader/ leash until you start doing crazy kiteloops ect.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Sep 28, 06 7:39 am    SHACKLES Reply with quote

All that is very true,
the sure-fire does break after 6mos or so ,(My Dakine spreader hook broke after about the same amount of time) ,,so when the rust shows it's time to go,but they are good up to that point. When they do break it's likely the kite will be ripped out of your hands .
But these will release in a powered emergency and compared to other shackle types they are cheap insurance for a sticky problem ,and the dealer GAVE me a new one
One broken in 3 yrs.
If I had all that crap on my trim loop i'm sure it would have released many times more .Those plungers and donkey dicks look like trouble to me
I like my trim loop to be smooth and clean and not easily triggered
I use 1/4 " Spectra with a stainless ferrel in bar, they last about 6 mos. cost is $3
I'm 220 lbs. and ride often

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Sep 28, 06 8:57 am     Reply with quote

Bajnhmj,

No laughs here dude...Remember bro..."Ghetto gear is better than no gear.'' .....But keep in mind to keep yourself safe and others around you at all times......

Peace out...! Wink

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 28, 06 10:23 am     Reply with quote

for this guy i was thinking the surefire spreader bar because it has two quick releases that he needs. one on the hook (so he doesn't have to use the outdated QR on his chicken loop) one on the leash (that really everyone ought to have).

after watching blowhard and registered crank their kites through the powerzone and go screaming down the line at 100mph for the last two summers i am thinking surefire spreader is strong enough for most mortals.

personally i don't like any of the chicken loop QR's i've seen and using the surefire spreader's QR seems like the best solution to me. (check it for rust like bh says).

whatever --- one man's opinion. Bajnhmj it sounds like you're clued enough to sort it out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: