Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone purchase land in mexico?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Sep 15, 06 9:35 am     Reply with quote

[/quote] FYI there is no better or more comforting sound (unless you are on the business end!) than that of a 12 ga being racked in a pump. It makes people become honest very quickly. Twisted Evil[/quote]

True enough!! My buddy and his wife were sleeping in a tent on the side of the road down near the Alvord several years back while deer hunting. Some mortorcycle guys noticed his VW van and pulled over. As the story goes one of the bikers said "lets fuck these hippies up". My buddy then replied "I wouldn't come near this tent if I were you" "(laughing) what the fuck are you going to do" came the repply. Paul grabbed his shottie "SCHLICK-CHICK". He said that it was the longest and quietest minute he ever experienced. Then he heard the bikes start and they sped off.

Smile

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 15, 06 10:23 am     Reply with quote

hey pete and DD,

thanks for the links, those are helpful.

the stories are sure an eye opener. i guess it is a bit wild west out there with that much open space. i will be sure to keep that in mind when buying as well.

kt

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 15, 06 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

It's very true PDXMonkey...Mexico aint a walk in the park....My parents were born in Mexico, thus I still got relatives leaving there. I go there a lot, but yet, I haven't gotten a chance to kite. It's a Third world country down there man - Shit can be rough down there....Even though guns are illegal in mexico, I aint stupid to be walking around at night and dude, I'm even as brown as they come...9 out of 10 mexicans down there know damn well that if you look and dress like a gringo, than you got chasholas in your pockets. And thats a fact jack....If you spend enough time down there, than you'll know what I mean. So I recommend (just in case - it may never happen) everyone know how to use that kite pump like a weapon...

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Sep 15, 06 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

wow i've had nothing but good times in baja california del sur. drove to remote villages, camped on the beach, walked around la paz at night, all good.

i've got friends that winter down there every year. they speak of nothing but good vibes from the locals (minus the occasional "fine" to policia and other minor scams). seems they would have mentioned something if it was so scary. one pal makes it his policy to always offer a lift to anyone he sees walking the strech of road between los planes and la paz, never a problem.

to be honest, peeps seem friendlier down there then up here.... (where people are grumping about giving a fellow kiter a lift back upwind)

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 15, 06 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

hey forum,

is la ventana the main place to kite? any other good spots i should consider looking into? i have seen some properties farther up the coast on the east side, does the wind blow up that way or just further south?

i have never been down there, what is the common wind direction? season?

thanks much.

kt

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Sep 16, 06 6:35 am    for sure Reply with quote

All true comments ,you are on your own in Mx. ,you have no more help than the Mexicans which is almost none ,the person who files a complaint is the problem ,everything was fine before then.
It' the Napolionic code of guilty until proven innocent that's why you almost never see car wrecks ,everybody goes to jail and then sort it out,if you have to spend all your money to buy a lock for your cell it WILL be worth it .
We have spent 3 years travling in Mexico in a motorhome with kite gear looking for wind.We went the perimeter of the mainland and down the interior of the mainland so pretty much a good look. Chiapias is a bit on the unruly side but everywhere else is a fun time.
Never had problems but heard of plenty ,paid some Mordita in Tampico and Guadlajara a couple hundred $.If it was not for the crazy laws Mexicans probably would be as unfriendly as others but with no help from the law and armed miltary wandering through the crowds on thier only day off (Sunday) the people make the best of it and thus become very friendly.
The average Mexican to us is a very nice and welcoming person and we love them.
Baja is a bit different, it appears to us that if it wern't for the Gringos there would be nobody in Baja and sadly when the Mexicans are around the Gringos they sometimes take on some of our traits ,very hard to escape this in Baja.
I think like the folks from L.A. that seem to(think) they own the Baja, Mexicans are just tired of all the people that come there and not as friendly ,we found this to be true in all of the resorts we went to with Gringos (mainland also).However the resorts where Mexicans go to are a very different story ,lot's more fun .
There is not much wind in the Mainland anywhere except along the Caribbean and just north of it in Progresso by Merida .
However in Baja the is a lot of wind some on the Pacific further north ,From Abrejos north and pretty much along the entire Gulf of California ,starting in Bahia de Los Angeles to Los Barriles .

The one thing I would like for the Mexicans to have IS guns then I'm sure they would overthrow the goverment and start anew it is very oppressive to anyone trying to get ahead it's almost too hard ,
That's why I say get rid of the border and let the pioneers of this Millinea escape the oppression and BEcome the land of the "FREE"?
Ther are plenty of guns in Mx. but the criminals and police have them and there is not much difference between them.
When you go though a drug interdiction stop and you see the Federales tossing everything in a citizens car on the ground and they wave you though it makes you wonder ,and then the look on the faces of the citizens tells it all ,THEY ARE PISSED.
But the UNITED STATES is paying to go though thier stuff in the name of drug interdiction and thats what they are told ,the U.S. is the ones to blame for going though thier shit .VERY UGLY foriegn policy.
but then I ramble .
Very easy to keep under the radar just don't go to some places and act humble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: