Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

nitinat lake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 20, 06 1:26 pm    nitinat lake Reply with quote

ran a little search on this gleaming bc gem and found little info here on the lake, and as my lady likes to say, when it comes to finding out about a kitespot, "There is no substitute for having someone on the ground." so here is our report, just got back, fell in love with both kiting and my wife of 22 years all over again. pm me for questions if you like.

GO TO NITINAT. that is the first and most vital piece of info, if you have not gone before, or in a while, go! it will kill you.

Travel: 2 1/2-3 hour drive out of victoria on vanc island, the last 30 miles on a dirt/gravel washboard that will shake your filling loose. victoria is a 90 minute ferry ride from anacortes, which is maybe 2 hours north of seattle.

Camping: right on the lake, in huge second growth canadian cedar and fir, basic dry camping, no water, carry in-carry out, chemical toilets. showers for a looney (canadian dollar) a throw at the local store, about 2 miles from camp, where there is also a little bit of everything including beer, gas and even some kite gear (oceon rodeo-go figure!) motel in the same complex.

Wind: reliable as the high speed selection on your fan, every day at 11 am when we were there, 5/5 days, perfect 10-12m side onshore with very little gustiness (ferk the gorge).

launch: beach is open, long and uncrowded, mix of sand and small rocks. the rocks get bigger and slimey in the water. i would rec booties, but soot yerself.

temp: bring your hoodies and jeans for camp. you can ride is boardies, but most wear either a shortie or spring full wetsuit.

water: fresh/salt mix. watch out for the occasional stingray. moderate chop.

newbs: good downwind haulouts, the lake is enclosed downwind, no blowing out to sea, as bad as it gets is a sort hike back upwind. there are also lessons on site with marie, great iko: see elevationkiteboarding.com.

even the windsurfers are friendly, and no locals sheit to deal with.

jimmi

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Aug 20, 06 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Jimmi,
How long does the season go for there? Did you see Mark and Marie? They are great people to hang with.....

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostSun Aug 20, 06 6:15 pm    rv Reply with quote

is the road and camping area compatable with a 30 ft rv?

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 20, 06 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

hey guys, i should have mentioned, ive been there once, by no means an expert, but. . .

marie said she is teaching on the water from may through august, winds are thermal and my guess is that means when we shut down here in oregon, vancouver island, which has at least a somewhat similar season, experiences similar weather.

30 ft rv? the road is a ferking bitch from youbou to nininat, 28 miles on my odometer. the first house you see on the native indian preserve upon arrival is a tire repair shop-no joke. i flatted a tire as well as sheared off a 1/2 inch copper propane service line under my old 19 ft prowler tt.

short answere: i think you could get it in, saw some long 5th wheels. but i wouldnt take anything in that i would cry over if i couldnt get it out

jimmi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: