Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitegrrrl

Since 22 Mar 2006
31 Posts

PostFri Aug 18, 06 9:59 am    Help Reply with quote

I’ve got a short vacation coming up: Monday-Wednesday. We were heading for Nitinat but the forecast isn’t looking good for that spot. Please help me out with suggestions for good places to go for lots of great kitesurfing for beginner/intermediate. Are there good Gorge spots we should check out? The coast? It would be nice to avoid crowds, if at all possible. We are looking for the best spot(s) with the highest probability of wind.

Thanks for helping me out,

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 18, 06 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Jones Beach... Big open beach you can drive on --4WD-- and very un-crowded, during the week especially. I had it all to myself for about 4 hours yesterday with perfect conditions. Then 1 other kiter showed up a quarter mile downwind...

Floras Lake, great spot to learn! Nice campground plus a really nice Bed & Breakfast at the lake. I'm not sure how crowded it is during the week though...

The coast: miles of open beach... I'm not sure it would be a good spot for a beginner though.

Just my 2 cents...

Have Fun!
Nak

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat Aug 19, 06 9:51 am    The Gorge Reply with quote

Best place in The Gorge for Beg. to Int. is Rufus. Great launch easy self rescue and nice people.
Ron

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostSat Aug 19, 06 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

How are you figuring that Nitinat won't blow? My best guess is high teens to low 20s Monday and Tuesday, maybe a bit less Wednesday. Nitinat is a thermal, so as long as it's sunny you should get wind.

I can't think of any place on the west coast that I would rather kite (well... I guess coastal waves might be better). Nitinat is a magic spot Smile

Having just returned from Floras Lake, I am afraid to say that I like Nitinat much more than Floras. A lot more space and you can get some nice ramps in the middle of the lake.

Cheers,
JJ

PS. I'm from BC so I might be a bit biased Shocked

kitegrrrl

Since 22 Mar 2006
31 Posts

PostSat Aug 19, 06 2:30 pm    Nitinat Reply with quote

A couple days ago the forecast looked different than it does today. Looks like BC is the call, thanks.

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: