Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lyle this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Jul 31, 06 8:57 am    Lyle this weekend Reply with quote

Lyle yesterday... I had no idea it got so crowded here. What a sweet spot! Laughing I took this shot from my car while watching the little one. Don't forget to scroll to the right to see all the action...

Ethan

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jul 31, 06 9:02 am     Reply with quote

wow i have never seen so many kites there. that is crazy!

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Jul 31, 06 9:18 am     Reply with quote

my god i ride there quite a bit but i have never seen so many kites there. were there more kites in the pond?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jul 31, 06 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Ethan,

Nice shot... Are you cropping, or stitching to get the cool panoramic (high aspect) feel? What body are you shooting with these days? Nikon right? I am still firing with the Canon 20D, and was about to purchase a 1DMIIN... But I have been reading about rumors regarding the next Canon release and will wait until the real news and pricing comes out.

Had a great photo shoot with some of the windsurfing crowd on Friday night at the Hatchery from a boat. Dang, won't ever shoot windsurfing from the shore, and I can guarentee some print time from the images.

You coming down for the Bridge??? I will have my ski boat there, and will be offering any photographers the opportunity to hop in...

Adios, Jon

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Jul 31, 06 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Jon. It's a 1:3 stitched image, Canon. Yep, there were a few more in the 2 inch deep pond and a couple more by the bridge. Seeya Friday!

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Jul 31, 06 10:04 am     Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a chance that with too many people Lyle may get closed like ss. I know in the past it has been closed to windsurfing because of the railroad and I think indian fishing. does anyone know if this was resolved or just forgot with time?

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Jul 31, 06 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm... someone did mention that the 'deadend' road from which I took this picture is actually an access road to the tracks and to keep the path clear.

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Jul 31, 06 10:48 am     Reply with quote

The road where I was asked not to park...

Lyle access road
 Lyle access road  accessroad.jpg 

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Jul 31, 06 10:55 am     Reply with quote

yea if you park there sometimes the railroad people will come in and park right behind you blocking you in. it sucks cause the only way to get out is to attept to drive over that berm into the road. theres a good parking lot right across the road with no such concerns.

jimmyc

Since 04 Aug 2005
74 Posts
Cape Cod, MA

PostMon Jul 31, 06 11:04 am     Reply with quote

That's a alot? I counted 17 kites, are there more hidden? Cut that sandbar down to 1/5th the size, put a jetty at one end, a parking lot behind it, and a designated birding (piping plover) no fly zone just downwind, throw in a couple of beginners and you get the idea of one of our crowded launches. If the tide is wrong you can add bad chop and fluky light wind.

That picture looks pretty darn good to me. One tack and you are away from everyone. One tack more and someone can land your kite on a safe sandbar. Sweet!

The Gorge rocks, you all are very lucky to live there. Thanks for posting pictures and letting those of us that like to daydream about the Gorge indulge.
Very Happy Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jul 31, 06 11:48 am     Reply with quote

I saw all those people on Sunday on my way home from Roosevelt. I was blown away!

I am going to just cross my fingers and hope that everyone uses common sense when parking here and it should avoid any problems. Lets not replay the secret spot debacle (and there are still people parking there) Sad

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jul 31, 06 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Is the water level staying more constant now? I swear, the last few times out there (aside from the weekend before last), by the end of your sesh the sandbar is completely gone, and if you haven't moved all your gear, you're screwed! Looks decent there, still plenty of room to rig... Cool

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Jul 31, 06 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Holy shnikeez Shocked that's a lot of people!

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Jul 31, 06 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

Nice picture btw!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: