Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New CGKA launch site.... Bingen! Come check it out.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pappas

Since 10 Jun 2007
58 Posts

PostFri Aug 27, 10 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Melokitegirl...

Bingen has been a windsurfing launch since the days of the old School House and camping at the Wind Ranch... We have been launching kites there since the two liner days.

Does your information actually say Bingen/ParkCity??? Hmmm, how local are you really? Yet, your barking like you own the place! Pissed? Get over it...

Pappas

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 27, 10 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

I completely disagree. That port park is not underused at all. In fact it is quite busy and very clean. What are you really going to clean? Isn't it really about clearing a spot for access? There is not enough room. Kiting sucks there. You will see for yourself....

As far as the local economy goes...that is farce. I've never seen anyone in the town 11 miles east at a bar, coffee place or c store even though its crowded with kiters.

Just because I'm a kiter doesn't mean I just go along with what the CGKA thinks is best. I respect the fact that these beaches belong to everyone. This isn't personal CGKA - I just disagree. It seems the sandbar is still a zoo and you guys have a hard enough time trying to marshal that and get kiters to actually become a member to support all that you do.

The paraglider thing...do you really think anyone is going to be courteous or aware? We can't even get people to pick up there dog shit at the event site.

And yup, your right Mark - nice localism. I do pay taxes there and use that park every day.

Not much I can do about it -

Good luck with the dog owners,
Mel

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 27, 10 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Pappas, I'm entitled to my opinion. My drivers license has a a Bingen Address. Don't be hating me cause I ski awesome pow a few weeks in the winter.

M.

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 27, 10 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Oh and Pappas...sorry to drag this out, but I am aware of windsurfing deal. Its old news. There is a reason the windsurfers don't go there anymore. Windsurf gear is one thing and as you know kite gear is another. A kite trainer takes up 1/4 of the lawn when your flying it.

I know my opinion is not popular and I expected some flack.

M.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 27, 10 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

melokitegirl wrote:
Oh and Pappas...sorry to drag this out, but I am aware of windsurfing deal. Its old news. There is a reason the windsurfers don't go there anymore. Windsurf gear is one thing and as you know kite gear is another. A kite trainer takes up 1/4 of the lawn when your flying it.

M.

The lady doth protest too much

if the conditions are as poor as you have stated, then you have nothing to worry about.

I think this is a nice feather in CGKAs cap.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Aug 27, 10 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
melokitegirl wrote:

M.

The lady doth protest too much

if the conditions are as poor as you have stated, then you have nothing to worry about.

I think this is a nice feather in CGKAs cap.

Salmon pretty much sums it up. If a beach can be improved and drive a few more coins into the local economy, which it will, let it rest because weeeeeeeeeeeee really don't care. I'm checking out the map between Bingen and Mosier thinking on a good wind day that might be kind of fun. Or, if the wind dies and a paraglider is coming in I'd totally bust ass to make room if need be. The Gorge chill factor goes so against the drama on nwkite it's hilarious plus I wish people would quit talking about how the Sandbar is such a zoo. If you think it's a zoo it's because you don't know how to fly a kite worth shit yet so quit your bitching and focus on getting more time on the water.

Chooch

Since 18 Nov 2007
1871 Posts
Wicked Pissah
Boston Tea Bagger

PostFri Aug 27, 10 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Salmon pretty much sums it up. If a beach can be improved and drive a few more coins into the local economy, which it will, let it rest because weeeeeeeeeeeee really don't care. I'm checking out the map between Bingen and Mosier thinking on a good wind day that might be kind of fun. Or, if the wind dies and a paraglider is coming in I'd totally bust ass to make room if need be. The Gorge chill factor goes so against the drama on nwkite it's hilarious plus I wish people would quit talking about how the Sandbar is such a zoo. If you think it's a zoo it's because you don't know how to fly a kite worth shit yet so quit your bitching and focus on getting more time on the water.

Not only that but its a great spot to access downwinders to spots like mosier and fight club. Before you would have to launch at the sandbar and shoot the bridge if you wanted to do something like that.

The more launches the better. I can launch at every beach on the Oregon coast...why don't I have the right to do the same in the gorge? I left the east coast to get away from that elitest beach ownership crap. Arrow

Thank You CGKA Alien

midscott

Since 27 Aug 2010
1 Posts

PostFri Aug 27, 10 8:47 pm    bingen site Reply with quote

i live in bingen and a better kite launch will be welcome. however, the bingen marina has always been a dog friendly site so no complaints about animals.

Knot Kracker

Since 02 Jul 2008
130 Posts
Clackamas River
Stoked

PostFri Aug 27, 10 9:47 pm    Bingen Reply with quote

Great Job CGKA! Looking forward to using the site.

strapless101

Since 17 Aug 2009
82 Posts
gorge

PostFri Aug 27, 10 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

I'm confused, hasn't this always been a launch spot. Sure it was sketch, but it has been kited for years. And yeah, we've definitely had some epic downwinders there, but you better know where the nets are.
What has the CGKA actually accomplished. I would be more impressed if they got us some designated rigging space at Doug's. I'm tired of old guys in too short cut-off jeans flipping me attitude at it being a windsurfing only launch. That's a legit goal, not claiming an existing launch as a feather in their cap.

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 28, 10 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Wow Sella, did you eat your angry-o's today? If you don't care, then why did you post? I'm a fairly good kiter by the way. The sandbar is a zoo....no matter how good a kiter you are. kooks dropping kites on you, dogs running wild & kites wrapping you is not something that you can prevent as a "good" kiter. I have had someone that was upwind of me drop & wrap their kite around me - completely blindsided. I was out a whole season after that.

I'm not too worried about the kite invasion of such a small park. People are too cheap to pay the bridge toll anyway and once they get a whiff of the algae & see all the water hazards, the romance will be short lived. I was simply expressing an opinion-which is what the forum is about. I'm just not a kool-aid drinker.

Gaining access to Doug's is a better way to spend CGKA's time & efforts.

And Forrest...most of the time I agree with you, but your "precious" post is bullshit. You are the most territorial kiter I know with your slider project & trying to kick schools off the sandbar.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 28, 10 8:11 am     Reply with quote

I'm confused by the claiming. Claimers are 200 years too late to be claiming. Blah Blah this and that was here first, blah blah.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Aug 28, 10 9:31 am     Reply with quote

melokitegirl wrote:
If you don't care, then why did you post?

Mel I care about negativity and you're drinking negative kool-aid like it's on close-out.

The CGKA posts something that should be viewed as cool and offers a clean-up party and you bring down the hammer and literally voice how pissed you are about it. Okay...this forum is for public opinion but I think we are all just surprised by such a quick push back to an initiative that could be cool.

$.05 cents a cup....

- not enough space
- Mark didn't size it right
- dogs
- algae
- trees
- rocks
- pissed indians
- nets
- killer bees
- dirtywind
- nobody will notice incoming paragliders
- no $ spent by kiters based on Fight Club personal opinion
- cheap people won't pay a bridge toll
- claiming of spots by the evil CGKA
- shitty kiters ruining your year
- kicking schools of the sandbar

....that's only 16 but I'm sure by the time this post goes away you'll hit 20+.

Bingen has always been an option to kite and a few local fanatics have figured it out, but it's true, it will be an advanced launch and will only work on certain days. If a little effort and energy go into it's development it could be a legit safer spot and no launch in the Gorge didn't come without issues that take time to address and improve. Bingen is a great little town with potential and WS is really coming into it's own so I hope some sort of legit-ness comes from this.

I'm curious to know, what 1 positive thing do you think will come from this launch development??

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 28, 10 10:03 am     Reply with quote

This isn't personal. There is no need to be so petty by listing my comments. Too much time on your hands. Life isn't about being "Polly Anna". Reality is what reality is.

I like Mark and the CGKA board. I think what they do is great for the most part It would have been nice to have had a discussion about it before it was advertised as the "new" kite beach, which is really an old windsurf beach already complete with three trails for access to the water.

Keep trashing me, that's fine. I think I've exhausted enough time and have expressed an opinion that is obviously not popular. I'm not here to change your mind. If you actually knew me, you would know that I care, I'm a lot of fun and help/support/cheer/rescue a ton of people on any beach I kite at.

Going kiting now...C ya!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Aug 30, 10 8:51 am     Reply with quote

its raining and there is no wind so I fully expect this post to blow up. LOL

Any idea when the clean up is going to be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 30, 10 11:36 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to shoot myself for even making a comment, but just thought I'd add some basic clarification to this topic.

When the CGKA makes an announcement/posting that a beach has been 'officially opened' to kiting, it is to share with the kiting community, that the CGKA has been able to successfully work with local community members/city or park officials to gain there support in creating a 'partnership' to set goals for improving, maintaining or developing specific access that would enhance the local kiteboarding experience and safety at a specific water access site.

It may sound strange to some as to why this does not happen all over the Gorge, but it does take quite a bit of personal time and group effort to initiate and build these relationships.
The end goal of these relationships it to gain a partnership within the community that ensures any current or future interests from the kite are heard, understood and acknowledged. Reality-wise this is more than half the battle the CGKA deals with and spends 80-90% of it's time maintaining.

This takes a lot of time and energy from the Board of Directors who are all volunteers that donate their personal time to make these things happen. Not everyone is happy with the accomplishments the CGKA does all of the time, but in the end most all of the actions are for the better good in protecting kiteboarding access for current and future generations.

Some food for thought boys and girls.
Let's all put the weapons down and hug it out.

As a reminder for any persons interested in having an active voice in the CGKA, join up and be a member, or attend any of the BOD meetings that are held the 2nd Thurs of each month. The first 15-20min of the meetings are open for anyone to attend (CGKA members do carry a bit more weight in their comments) and make suggestions or comments for the CGKA to discuss.

www.Purestokesports.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Aug 30, 10 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Wait a minute Pepi. Are you saying you can't make EVERYONE happy ALL the time? That doesn't seem like too much to ask from the people that have stepped up and donated their free time to actually get some shit done.

I think that perhaps the current CGKA needs to be put in context a little bit for some that are a little new to the kiting scene. And of course, I'll put my "narcassistic, I know everything, you don't know shit, my kids are the best thing in the world" spin on it.

For years and years, the "CGKA" was pretty much a joke. Every spring people would say "hey, wheres the CGKA" and get all excited and then it would pretty much disappear. The overall understanding was that the group was a loose group of stoners and transients that essentially couldn't get shit done for one reason or another. In terms of the public view of the organization, I'm not sure "legit" was used as an adjective that often.

Fast forward to the last 3 years and you have a vastly different organization. The board members in these past years have REALLY gone a long way. Like an amazingly long way. Many people do not have an appreciation for how long this stuff takes to get done. It's not as if they just call the port.. "hey, can we pump and dry at the ES?" and they just say, sure dude, whatever. It takes hard work and thick skin. Especially when you are working for the betterment of the whole group and a couple people come out and rail on you. Herding cats is an understatement. It takes a special kind of person, and I learned long ago, I'm not wired for that type of work.

So anywho, hats off to Mark, Pepi, Forrest, Nicole, Steve, Adam for putting in the effort! Having another viable launch is always a good thing. Always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: