Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New CGKA launch site.... Bingen! Come check it out.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 26, 10 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
At east end. Facing directly at Big rock.

Ah, in this case it should easily clear the net which is more to the west end IIRC.

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 26, 10 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

Paragliders also use that park as an LZ from the Bingen launch.

http://www.cascadeparaglidingclub.org/pages/bingen.php

There shouldn't be much conflict with kiting there since paragliders need lite wind in the gorge. When it starts to cap, paragliders clear out.

If you have your kite in the air at launch and you see a paraglider coming in, I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you'd put your kite down until they've landed. If its capping on the river, the paraglider might not have a lot of options and they are probably pretty anxious to land.

Thanks!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 26, 10 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

FlyDunes wrote:
Paragliders also use that park as an LZ from the Bingen launch.

http://www.cascadeparaglidingclub.org/pages/bingen.php

There shouldn't be much conflict with kiting there since paragliders need lite wind in the gorge. When it starts to cap, paragliders clear out.

If you have your kite in the air at launch and you see a paraglider coming in, I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you'd put your kite down until they've landed. If its capping on the river, the paraglider might not have a lot of options and they are probably pretty anxious to land.

Thanks!

Agreed. Those of us coming in from above have BUMP. Don't think there would be much of a cross over but if you do see one coming in please move out of the way. Then come and say hi. Paragliding is a great no wind sport.

www.naishkites.com

snowmeltriver

Since 21 May 2006
102 Posts
Little Kentucky
Stoked

PostThu Aug 26, 10 6:19 pm    Bingen Beta Reply with quote

Kiters beware. Locals have been using the field at Bingen Point as a dog run for years. My dog goes nuts when I make the turn off of Hwy 14. It is not uncommon to see 6 dogs off leash all running for the same chuck-it thrown tennis ball. Just like the nekid whacks at rooster, the dogs were at Bingen first. Please do not let kite boarders follow the lead of the white man and take everything they desire to control. Clearly it does not work. Share and respect.

And....the wind at BP kinda sucks. Big wind shadows and zero swimming in potential. There are at least 25 piers in the water and the downwind piers are there to hold log rafts for SDS lumber. Imagine swimming in to a pulsing and shifting log raft on a windy day. They are held together with cables and spikes. This is a real danger.

Not trying to be overly territorial here.... Yes BP is a launch site and has been for many years but the wind is pretty poor quality and the swim in self rescue options are not good at all. The grass is nice, dogs love it. Be careful and respect the other users if you kite there.

Lastly, eat many tacos at El Rinconcito Express when you drive through Bingen.

And...beware of the prototype Insitu humanoid robots roaming the area. You will notice them by their distinctive stride and the way they squeeze-grip their handle-free briefcases.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 26, 10 11:49 pm    Re: Bingen Beta Reply with quote

snowmeltriver wrote:
Please do not let kite boarders follow the lead of the white man and take everything they desire to control. Clearly it does not work. Share and respect.

I know, I know... It does not count as a racist remark when it is about white people.

but, was that really necessary?

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Aug 27, 10 6:54 am    Re: Bingen Beta Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
snowmeltriver wrote:
Please do not let kite boarders follow the lead of the white man and take everything they desire to control. Clearly it does not work. Share and respect.

I know, I know... It does not count as a racist remark when it is about white people.

but, was that really necessary?

I agree its a racist comment for sure.

snowmeltriver

Since 21 May 2006
102 Posts
Little Kentucky
Stoked

PostFri Aug 27, 10 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Racist? Seriously? I really don't think describing the documented actions of those of Anglo-European decent as racist. Ever read history?

BTY- I'm white and I like my women white. My dog is black. We are a multi-racial family.

And the real point is the down-wind dangers of the launch site. I'll try to post a pic of the thousands of logs tied to the pilings next time I'm there to let my dog run free.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Aug 27, 10 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Lets get back on track....

Plenty of room for everyone. See ya at 9 for the cleanup.

www.naishkites.com

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Aug 27, 10 8:50 am     Reply with quote

snowmeltriver wrote:
Racist? Seriously? I really don't think describing the documented actions of those of Anglo-European decent as racist. Ever read history?

Sorry Mark - I know this one is taking us off track - but gotta say something about this.

Snowmeltriver - I've spent plenty of time studying world history. Throughout the history of the world there has been one universal rule - might makes right. Man dominating other man through power. Still happens today - now its just through nuclear weapons.

Yes, the white man came to the Americas and physically dominated the red man. However, long before the white man showed up the red man was busy waring with other red men - stealing land and what not. And down a little south you got the brown man - Before the Spanish showed up you had the Aztecs dominating other tribes through physical power. Then the Spanish showed up, teamed up with the Aztecs adversaries and then ass raped the Aztecs. Not too long ago in African culture you had the black man dominating the other black men and stealing their land. And what did we see in WWII? The white and yellow man making a play for everyone else's land.

So when you say look at the history of the Anglo-Europeans and look what they have done? Same thing the red, yellow, brown, and black man has done. The history of man has always been might makes right. Not the way it should be - but thats just what history has shown us.

OK. So back on track! Stoked about Bingen and happy to share it with all the colors and other users!!

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 27, 10 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Come on stop it you guys....Bingen's a great spot...I take Piper down there all the time.

Snowmelt's right that the downwind stuff is a bit sketchy. There's powerlines, log jams, cranes, ect....but this is going to be a ADVANCED launch so it shouldn't be a problem.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Aug 27, 10 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:
Come on stop it you guys....Bingen's a great spot...I take Piper down there all the time.

Sorry couldn't help myself Embarassed

Anyways, super stoked to check this place out!!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 27, 10 9:50 am     Reply with quote

I was feeling so guilty for a second there, thanks for pulling me out of it Moto.

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 27, 10 11:42 am     Reply with quote

Oh dear. Sorry to rain on your parade Mark, but I own a house in Bingen and have been going to that park for years with my dog. We use a kite trainer with "out of town" friends at the east end. Its great for that. but now kiters will be there using up all the room. It is the only safe place for dogs in that area for them to run free. There is not that much room as you have described. The indians are going to have a fit. They put nets there all the time and there is tons of algae, bird habitat and trees. Not to mention the rocks. The wind is super dirty. As a kiter, I would never kite there.

Just because you kite doesn't mean you should take over every freaking beach in the Gorge.

Kinda pissed,

Melissa

PS. If you go there, be careful of the fields & embankments. Nasty Bees have their hives buried in the ground. There have been swarms that have attacked people & pets last year.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Aug 27, 10 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Cleanup postponed due to Lyle fire. The fire crews have setup camp on the grass. Stay tuned for new cleanup date.

www.naishkites.com

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Aug 27, 10 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Mel,
Nice localism. We were invited to cleanup site as it's a underused port asset.
There is room for all.

www.naishkites.com

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 27, 10 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Why as a kiter would you be pissed that there is another spot that has the possiblity to kite.

There's plenty of room for kites, windsurfers, paragliders, dog lovers, ect.

In reality kiters are not going to be there all the time hoggin the beach up. The only time it's really kite-able is when it's nuking at the Spit.

Personally I think getting kiters to use it might actually help the town too bring some cash to the north shore might be a nice thing for all of our property values

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 27, 10 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: