Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Low water, USE CAUTION!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Mar 15, 05 11:51 am    Low water, USE CAUTION! Reply with quote

We were out at Stevenson yesterday. The water is real low right now. The water line is about 10 feet lower than the big rock. There are a lot of rocks exposed that normally would be submerged. When launching it is best to have the kite down below the line catcher twig bushes that are just below the lawn. When you came in to land be prepared to ditch your rig if needed. Getting drug on those rocks would be real painful.

When I came in to land my kite got away from the person catching it. My kite relaunched and I wasn't ready. It was a good thing I unhooked as soon as I saw my kite in the catchers hands, because all I had to do was let the bar go. The safety deployed and the kite fell to the water.

See you next time,
Steve

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

PostTue Mar 15, 05 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

You should have never tried to come in over those slimy exposed rocks. Bad choice my friend... But, nice instinct to blow the leash and save yourself from injury...

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Mar 15, 05 1:01 pm    Stevenson Exit Reply with quote

I was out there taking pictures last night, and the water is so low that getting back in at the point is going to be a challenge all summer.

I did notice that Stevenson has cleared out most of the stuff upwind and that might be an option. They have also cleared most of the downwind trees. Either way, we need to be very aware out there and be ready to help people at all time. Sorry Steve, but I was on crutches and unfortunately was not able to be much help...

Kite on, Bammer

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Mar 15, 05 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with not coming in over the rocks. That is why I started the thread. Most of us have not seen the river that low before. We are very accustomed to coming in, someone catching our kites and walking up the hill with our bars and board.

As Bam Bam stated we are going to have to be creative this year at Stevenson. For that matter, we need to think about new ways to launch/land throughout the Gorge. Some places might be better due to low water, but some maybe way worse.

If you see someone about to do something risky say something before they do it and be proactive rather than watch them get hurt. We all are in this sport for the same thing....FUN... stick together and be safe. Exclamation

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostTue Mar 15, 05 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

I totally agree. With this low water we're definatly not only going to have to look out for eachother but also newbies and tourists who may not be used to tough launches.

On a busy day at Stevenson, would launching at the point and then landing at the boat launch just downwind be all right, or does that piss off the windsurfers? If it is okay, i'd rather have to walk a little farther with my gear than risk getting worked by a couple of boulders for sure. Especially at that launch...no matter how steady the wind is offshore it always seems to get flukey on launches and landings at the point.

Nate

PostTue Mar 15, 05 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

The boat ramp has been rebuilt since last year. I didn't take too close of a look at it yesterday but I think they may have installed some big pillars to hold the dock in place. If you head in there, carry enough speed to glide in and drop your kite away from the pillars.

The boat ramp area has also been repaved. Perhaps the port will entertain ideas on improving the site for kiting too. We do out number boaters by a large margin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: