Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Weekend Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eljayo

Since 20 Nov 2005
8 Posts
Seattle
Kook

PostFri Jun 23, 06 10:23 am    Weekend Options Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a bit of advice... I will be staying near Prescott Beach this weekend (Oregon side near Kalama) but unless it seems clear that the wind will come up there, I will probably head to the coast for Saturday. I've pole-boarded out there numerous times (and I will come prepared to do that if necessary) but I have never taken a kite out in the surf. Flying skills are reasonably good and I get around fine as long as I keep it simple. I'm assuming that Ft Stevens/Sunset beach area would be my best bet if I want to take the plunge. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jay

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jun 23, 06 10:28 am     Reply with quote

Yesterday the swell was smallish and very manageable. Sun's out, water's on the warmer side. Probably a good time to check it out!

Smile

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Jun 23, 06 10:38 am     Reply with quote

I haven't tried to kite in the surf yet either. Do you need to be able to jump to get thru waves or can you just pop thru them without catching air? Can you surf on a regular twin tip or will it just stall as soon as you depower the kite?

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 06 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Pauls, you don't need to be a good jumper to get outside but it definitely helps on big days. When the waves are smallish just head at them with speed, veer downwind a bit and bring the kite up to float you over the waves. Don't try to edge super hard over them or you'll find yourself doing a back roll. If you're on a twin you must keep power in the kite so as not to fall out the back of the wave. Be aggressive with that kite when going down the line and after you fall twenty or thirty times you'll get the hang of it. I downloop the kite so as not to get pulled off my edge when I make my bottom turns. It's a bit frightnening at first (you go mach 10) but after a while you'll be ripping the top off those waves. Have fun!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jun 23, 06 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Regular gear works fine. A little jumping ability helps getting out through the break but there are usually wide sections of flat (glassy) water on the inside.

You guys probably heard already but the New Wind wave camps happening this July and August are PERFECT for anyone who wants to quickly learn safe coastal kiting plus all the tricks for nailing sweet sessions. Thumb's Up

eljayo

Since 20 Nov 2005
8 Posts
Seattle
Kook

PostFri Jun 23, 06 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

I can visualize how I should move my kite while trying to make the most of a wave but actually being able to do that... I don't know. I'll probably be spending most of my time and energy thinking about how to avoid having my top ripped off rather than how I would do that to a wave. I can't wait until I feel "one" with my kite but I'm not there yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: