Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Coast Kite Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rd

Since 16 Jun 2006
1 Posts

PostFri Jun 16, 06 9:47 pm    Coast Kite Size Reply with quote

Took my first kite lesson - got worked & loved it! I'm looking to get 1 kite to start with to cover average days at Sauvies & lighter days at the coast (10-15 mph). I windsurf a lot at the coast and am wondering if anyone who's windsurfed can recommend a kite size they would use if they'd otherwise be sailing on a 5.8? There's a guy at Florence who switches between kiting & sailing & I'm wondering if he's out there and can recommend a size? Ideally, I'd like to do the same, switching to sailing when it's powered 5.3/4.7. I'm 170 lbs. I'm thinking a 12 and maybe a 14.

Also - I've heard a lot of talk about flat kites in surf and their range. I used a 5 line kite during my lesson and REALLY LIKED the fifth line safety. What are people's thoughts on flat kites vs 5 line Cs at the coast? Everyone says get a flat kite but then a lot of really good long-time kiters tell me to go for a 5 line kite?

Thanks!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 16, 06 9:59 pm     Reply with quote

Go for 12 Waroo if you can find one.
If you opt for a 5 line bucket, plan on keeping it for life...
The used market for buckets has crashed and is quite the buyers market.

In fact I have mint rhino5 12m with new bar & lines (5th) foir $425.00
The kites mint and never been damaged.

cheers from Roma!

J.P.

ps. I really wish italy wasn't playing the usa tonight!

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostFri Jun 16, 06 10:04 pm    in another contry Reply with quote

why would you be posting , should you not be out chasing .and drinking wine like a roman gladiator?????????the troll

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 06 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

A 13 or so is about right for when its blowin 5.8 windsurfing conditions. But after a while, you'll get smaller kites for windier conditions. I packed both sets of stuff around for a couple years, now my windsurf boards collect dust, I use my old sails as drop cloths, and I use my mast with a car washing brush attached to it to wash my 2nd story windows. Oh and I rigged up a "boom swing" from a tree for my kids to swing on.

I switched to 5 line set up this year, and really like the safety benefits, and the higher range of all my kites, with the increased sheeting ability the 5th line offers. Best of all though is that its much easier to come in and land the kite unassisted. I'm often kiting alone, with no one else around, and its great to not get yarded across the beach, and have to make sketchy landings with the kite. Haven't tried bow kites yet, but I know they work good - I'm not convinced they're safer though. Good luck, and we'll see you out there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: