Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jones beach today 7/12 actual and 7/13 predictions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Timknick

Since 21 Feb 2016
13 Posts

PostTue Jul 12, 22 11:51 am    Jones beach today 7/12 actual and 7/13 predictions Reply with quote

If anybody headed to Jones today and could give me some feedback on what the conditions were like, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, thoughts on tomorrow.
From what I could gather predictions looked favorable for tonight just didn't want to take a chance driving down there (from Seattle) based on my none expertise.
Thanks

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 13, 22 7:53 am    I say most likely it will blow at Jones on 7/13 Reply with quote

So I'm not a Jones person. In the 20 years I've been kiting around these parts, I've only hit it 5 times I think. Don't get me wrong, the place has awesome scenery and has good wind, but has only chop, 3 ripples of swell over on/in wind alley, and some mud flats on the north end of that island on the other side--I want to say the island is called Brown Island. If I foiled more, I'd probably hit it more.

Here is some info for you that I posted just before the 4th for someone else. Look up the and read the links. . .

Here are 3 different posts/threads to help you if you need to kite and Jones is your only possibility.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-32155.html

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-35960.html&highlight=jones+beach+forecast

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-35655.html&highlight=jones+beach+forecast

It currently is cloudy at the North coast and up into the Columbia past Jones. It will warm up today here in PDX and the clouds should roll back and burn off on the Columbia and the North Coast.

I would think it would blow at Jones today.

Anyone with more Jones experience want to chime in?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 13, 22 8:26 am     Reply with quote

You might consider purchasing a www.ikitesurf.com account. They have a wind meter there.

Additionally you might use igetwind.com and look at the HRRR model (ikitesurf has this model too but I feel igetwind's version is better (and free)).

Using a mixture of the two provides you with good working knowledge for future winds.

joekite

Since 21 Jul 2016
21 Posts
Portland, OR

PostWed Jul 13, 22 8:35 am     Reply with quote

It was windy yesterday, I got there at 5 and some people were coming in from good sessions calling it a day, I was able to get 2 good sessions in before wind died off when the sun fully set

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostWed Jul 13, 22 8:48 am     Reply with quote

I've foiled at Jones a LOT! ikitesurf has access to Jones beach Light 8. This meter (AFAIK) is straight across the river from Jones on the Light (with the nesting ospreys). Usually, the forecast is way low. As you saw yesterday, it blew hard there but the forecast didn't show it. I would guess that today will be a good day. Invariably the wind is much stronger and steadier than say the Event Site.

It does usually blow later than other places. Many kiters like to launch downriver of the paved parking lot and kite toward the island . I find the wind to be much worse down there. If you are proficient, launch near the parking lot and go across to nuclear alley. You'll find about 4-5 knts more wind that is steadier (not influenced by the island). Watch out for the big ocean going ships.

Depending on the tide, you can find some small swell to play on on the far side. Like others have said, it's more chop on the Or side.

Timknick

Since 21 Feb 2016
13 Posts

PostWed Jul 13, 22 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for responding with great info that I will certainly add to "my forcasting ". I'm tryng to get some on site info to back up or condemn what I'm attempting to forecast using some of what you guys have mentioned.
I was hoping to see if my predictions were right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: