Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hydrofoil for winging ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSat Jun 12, 21 10:33 am    Hydrofoil for winging ? Reply with quote

Seeing all you guys and gals wing foiling has peeked my interest. Had an order for the Slingy V3s which wont be out for a bit so looking at the duotone slicks. Either way my question is can I use my slingshot hover glide foil with the space skate front wing instead of having to order another wing or complete setup? I weigh around 135 lbs and have read that for my rider weight I can learn on a wing that has 1500 CM2 of surface space which the space skate has. Just trying to figure this out and how much money I am going to have to dump into this new hobby. Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSat Jun 12, 21 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

At your weight and with good winds, a 1500 cm foil should be fine for learning to wing. Be warned that it becomes an all consuming obsession for many people. Lots of time, energy and expense but so much fun.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 13, 21 8:59 am     Reply with quote

If you are already kite foiling and using Moses/Ghostwhisper all you need to do is get a new front wing - the 790 (1550).
https://www.sabfoil.ch/produkt/front-wing-790-kite-surf-wind-1550-cm2/

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSun Jun 13, 21 7:19 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input you two. I am using the hover glide setup, have a few front wings that's why I was inquiring if it was doable. It doesn't seem ideal but sounds like it might work.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 14, 21 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Given that it's a 1500cm wing it should be just fine at your weight. It should actually be a similar experience, if not easier lightwind experience than I have on a 2000cm i84 wing at 184lbs. What do you have for a board? This will likely be of greater importance to your success.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon Jun 14, 21 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

Kitebot- I was looking at the fanatic 90L board. I think my weight comes in at 63KG. I am hoping I will spend quite some time before having to buy another one, even though I have read mixed reviews on that. My wings won't be in till mid July so still deciding what to buy. I was also looking at the Appletree wing foil board.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Jun 22, 21 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

came across info that since the space skate is a gullwing design that it kinda throws CM2 surface area out the door, by 20 % So that would leave it at 1200, would that be hard to learn on? Should I just say F it and by a carbon foil?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 23, 21 7:14 am     Reply with quote

oliver19 wrote:
Be warned that it becomes an all consuming obsession for many people. Lots of time, energy and expense but so much fun.

This phrase sounds like what someone said to me 19 years ago when I picked up my first kite and started kiting. Shocked Confused Laughing

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Jun 23, 21 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 23, 21 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
Kitebot- I was looking at the fanatic 90L board. I think my weight comes in at 63KG. I am hoping I will spend quite some time before having to buy another one, even though I have read mixed reviews on that. My wings won't be in till mid July so still deciding what to buy. I was also looking at the Appletree wing foil board.

A 90L board should be very good for learning on at your weight. You may even find you outgrow it pretty quickly.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Jun 23, 21 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Dang I hope I don't outgrow it to quickly, these boards are spendy.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 24, 21 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
Dang I hope I don't outgrow it to quickly, these boards are spendy.

Even if you did, you'd be able to sell a used 90L board instantly.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Jun 24, 21 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

That's what I figured as well, now just hope this foil will work.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jun 24, 21 3:20 pm    this one seems to work well Reply with quote

https://www.iwasphotographed.com/Wind/The-Hatchery/Big-Day-The-Hatch-Saturday-61921-401-images/i-LKzNkjn/buy

https://www.iwasphotographed.com/Wind/The-Hatchery/Big-Day-The-Hatch-Saturday-61921-401-images/i-H7B9zpN/buy

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Jun 24, 21 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Dope shots!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: