Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Which wing foil board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Feb 28, 21 9:35 am    Which wing foil board? Reply with quote

Started wing boarding this last summer on my Sunova 8' SUP foil board. It's 33" wide and 144L so it made it easy not to have to start on my knees.

Interested in something smaller but not sure how small I want to go. I'm thinking around 6' and 100L. I am ~190lbs

On a visit to HR last summer it seemed the F-One boards were popular. Having the handle slot on the bottom seems awesome. I'd like foot straps with 2 diagonal in the front windsurf style. And I'm thinking 2-track foil box (not tuttle). And of course I want it light as possible.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. Thumb's Up

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 28, 21 3:14 pm    Wing board Reply with quote

No advice from me but I'd also be interested to hear from the experienced wing-dingers.
I tried one session winging on a monster board last summer and now I'm also looking to buy a board for winging. I'm 175# and have done quite a bit of kite foiling. The F-One Rocket boards seem like a good option in 110L or so, although I think they only come with inserts at 75L or less, so wouldn't be a good option for you Slither. The

Naish Hover S25 Carbon comes in a 5'10/110L and seems like a reasonable option. There is also a new Moses T98 and T118 (98l and 118L) that look like good options. I suspect there will be a ton of new wing boards coming on the market this year.

Inflatable boards seem like a great option, but the F-One has a tuttle that would require an adapter, and I don't think many inflatables have inserts.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Feb 28, 21 5:40 pm    Re: Which wing foil board? Reply with quote

Most wing boards are evolving to be shorter and wider vs. long and narrow.
You don't mention how far you progressed... avoiding the knee start will make your progression to a smaller board more difficult.

If you're foiling and able to carve around and ride toeside and back to heel side without falling or touching down.... go small (95-110L).
If you're still learning to foil and haven't learned to jibe heel to toe and back to heel- go bigger... or have trouble ..popping up on foil in light winds... go bigger (110-120).

Naish makes a great light board that's reasonable $$ - the Naish Hover Wing S25. It comes in every size. I ride the Naish 95L and love it - I weigh 185. (~100 sessions).
Slingshot just released the Wingcraft - it's the same as the Ride Engine Moon buddy.
The 6'0" 120L is nice.
The Quattro Drifter is a great board. 5'8"- 29 - 115L. Also a 105 and a 90.
All these boards meet your specs.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Mar 02, 21 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys, great info!

I got a few floating switch foot jibes with the wing but due to back issues I wasn't pushing the progression and my season got cut short leading to surgery in December.

I plan on keeping the 8 footer so I don't want too big of board that I'd out grow. Wish there was a WingCraft in between the 90L and the 120L but I'm leaning toward the 90L.

At what dimensions are you going to need to knee start for us in the 185-195 pounder range? I'm thinking I want a board that requires knee starts but doesn't make it too crazy hard.

Thanks,
--WS

bz_rider

Since 12 Apr 2007
42 Posts

PostWed Mar 03, 21 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

I weigh 185 and have the Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4" 95L and 5'8" 110L. As an intermediate winger, both require a knee start but the 110L is way easier to slither up on and get the wing sorted for takeoff --especially in swell.

If you are doing downwinders and you have wind holes you can't punch through it is nice to have extra foam to get home. I'd recommend a board closer to a 110L to progress on and you could always get a smaller one later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: