Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Now Is The Time To Support Your Local Shop!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 14, 20 5:23 pm    Now Is The Time To Support Your Local Shop! Reply with quote

This is a tough time for shop owners who have seen their income slashed. These folks put so much in to the community; we all owe them something. I know for a lot of us times are tough as well. But if you can afford it, now is a great time to make any purchases you were considering this season.

I'm going to order a Moses wing from 2nd Wind tomorrow.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Apr 15, 20 7:08 am    Re: Now Is The Time To Support Your Local Shop! Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
This is a tough time for shop owners who have seen their income slashed. These folks put so much in to the community; we all owe them something. I know for a lot of us times are tough as well. But if you can afford it, now is a great time to make any purchases you were considering this season.

I'm going to order a Moses wing from 2nd Wind tomorrow.

Totally agree. I got my Moses Wing two days ago from 2nd Wind. Now I need access to the river......

www.naishkites.com

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostThu Apr 16, 20 7:26 am    Support for local business. Reply with quote

This has been my motto since early nineties . And now more than ever it is so obvious that we need to buy more from our own. And I don't mean only local local, I mean the USA generally. Se where we got ourselves with all that Chinese crap ? yes, it is cheaper but for what price ? One wise guy said, " I am not rich enough to buy cheap things." How truthful statement it is. I wonder what is the price of this Made in China Covid 19 going to be. All the savings from cheap Chinese products brought to this country and all over the world doesn't cover the cost of lost human lives. And we are in the sport that most of our equipment is made over there. Do we have enough strength and courage to say, " Screw it, I will not be buying this garbage. " Probably not even if it would be better for all of us in a long run. As for me, I am going to continue buying as much American made as possible from my local shops. I would urge the kite manufacturers to move their production somewhere else too so I don't have to feel guilty.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 16, 20 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Thank you for the support guys, much love and appreciation.

With our storefront closed to walk in traffic we have been working hard on supporting our phone call and web customers as well as busting my tail trying to remodel the interior of the the shop to be more 'spatially' safe and friendly for when we can allow customers back into the shop.

Since we are a 'local' shop, I will very much endorse supporting other Hood River shops as well. Our friends at Big Winds, Gorge Surf Shop and Windance each sell different products, brands and styles of gear.
If we don't have what you need, then one of these other shops will have it and gladly service your needs.

Thank you
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 9:25 am    Good owners Reply with quote

I do agree with supporting local shop owners however its a 2 way street. I will continue to support great local shops with soul. I just ordered a good amount of whitewater raft supplies like oars and such. I ordered from shops that have always been good to me. That being said, I have a friend with a full service kite shop and he has always been so expensive that I never buy anything from him. I don't know why anybody does. He is a good friend but never offers more than 10% off. Thats latin for "I dont really want to offer a discount so this is the least I can do". I won't be supporting him now that he getting squeezed.

I see lots of shops crying for local support but some of them were never supportive of locals when things were good. I feel no need to support those shops now. With that in mind I am going through all of my outdoor gear at this time and purchasing items that I need from shops that have soul and were kind to locals when things were good.

Same with local restaurants offering take out. I never supported those that want $12-$15 for a crappy, small sandwich. I am not feeling bad for them now. I am supporting those restaurants that always supported the locals with a local discount or just a fair price for a fair amount of food. It seems like the shops and restrains that always were the most greedy are crying the loudest now. When shops ask for support during this time the first thing that I ask is, " How did you support me as a customer when times were good" ? Support is like respect. It is not obligatory, it is earned. Its totally a 2 way street.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 26, 20 8:08 am     Reply with quote

I hate the thought of not having local shops! When stuff breaks, need a spare part, you name it, there they are. In the last year:

1. Mt View Cycles where we buy our bikes has loaned us demo bikes while Trek replaced some broken parts under warranty--no charge "Here take this bike and go ride."

2. John at Dougs gave me what ended up being a 2.5 hour custom boot fit, on my Nordica 120's I bought from him. It was an amazing experience, and completely opened up my mind to what an expert boot fitter can do.

3. While we are on a bit of an "austerity" budget right now, I just needed to do something hopeful. Found the powder skis for my wife that she had demoed and loved used. Took them to Pepi for a remount. He called me yesterday because the holes on the new bindings were not lining up well with the filled holes from the old. Asked me if it would be okay if he upgraded the bindings with a better hole location--no extra charge for more expensive binders than the originals we had decided upon.

You don't get this on-line.

Eric

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSun Apr 26, 20 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

A lot of shops compared to the size of the local population. Hopefully, will be able to open up to visitors sooner than later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: