Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

fishing nets out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 02, 20 6:32 pm    fishing nets out Reply with quote

today I watched the fisherman put out a net right in front of the spring creek hatchery. there are styrofoam buoys indicating they are out
use caution when kiting around that area. hard to see in the swell when you are coming downwind

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 03, 20 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Stringy

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 03, 20 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

Uncomfortable but important reminder to stay calm if you ever accidentally get hung up on a net.
The power of the current or kite can result in your possibly being submerged.
Be calm, evaluate what part of you or your gear is stuck, then formulate a quick plan of escape. Think of your safety before worrying about your gear.

I have not been caught while kiting (knock on wood), but had a rogue net get caught up in the prop of my 34' sailboat, which was completely disabled and tethered by the net until I could dive under and properly cut it free with a dive knife. It took me 20 min to cut it free, was not easy by any measure due to the pull of the current on my body and the boat. It was a learning experience that has stuck with me ever since.

You see a net, you steer way clear of it.

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: