Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Morro Bay, CA central coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Dec 20, 19 2:58 pm    Morro Bay, CA central coast Reply with quote

Any info on kiting actually inside Morro Bay? I know people do it, i know it's tidal. Haven't been able to find any info on where, when, wind direction and tide required. Is it deep enough to foil at high tide? Thanks!

I've kited on the ocean by the rock, Pismo, Arroyo Laguna etc interested in adding inside the bay as another option for really big days

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Dec 20, 19 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

I used to live there back in the 80's which was long before kiting. But, I was an avid windsurfer and knew the area quite well through that wind sport. The back bay of Morro is quite shallow and turns to heavy muck at low tide, plus there is eel grass and other types of seaweed to hang up a foil. We used to occasionally windsurf right by the power plant, but the bay is very narrow there and the wind was gusty. There is also a small beach just north of the Museum of Natural History that might have some possibilities, but launching a kite could be your main obstacle there.

I did return there two summers ago and kited at Arroyo Laguna and there was a small community of kiters that were foiling at AL. Seems like it is probably the best spot in the area as it is consistently windy during the season, and is smooth water because it is so protected by the kelp beds. Super fun thing to do when kiting at AL is to head offshore and upwind to explore the seams and gaps in the giant vastness of the kelp beds. It is like heading into a huge maze and then trying to remember how to back track to return to the beach. Unbelievable stretches of the smoothest water you will ever find yourself riding across.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: