Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

slingwing and wingsurfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 27, 19 3:47 pm    slingwing and wingsurfer Reply with quote

i did a search, no info on them at all.

is this a real thing? could you use this thing in the surf at all? or think it would destroy you? (this is a serious post). i like the idea of just hopping on and rolling around in low wind.

i couldn't really find a wind range.

so, whoever has tried it. they are both basically 4m.
what is the wind range on a foil? does it need to be nor-easter to get you out of the water? (i've no experience on a windsurf board, but i know their sails aren't any bigger)

thx!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 27, 19 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

During the recent industry tradeshow I used the Ozone Wasp (4m) on a 144liter Fanatic SUP Foil with a 2000+ Wing (super big).
It took winds gusting into the 20's for me to get up foiling with the wing. If I had some more practice I could probably get going in a bit lighter wind. Same with using a smaller board (but I would'nt go much lower than 110liters for my size, I'm thinking).

Using in the Oregon coast surf?.... from my little experience, I cannot imagine this working that well.
For downwinders in the Gorge as a way to not have to use a paddle on your SUP Foil rig (NOT KITEFOIL), most definitely a positive plus item to have.

For those of you thinking you would or could use the wing with your kitefoil, this is not likely a possibility unless you are Kai Lenny.
For those of you thinking you would like to use this with your windfoil kit, most definitely this will work on the windier days.

For use on a non-foiling sup or windsurf board, I cannot imagine anyone doing this other than maybe slow cruising across a lake, but your arms would get pretty tired quickly.

For the record, I am a shop owner who will be stocking the Ozone Wasp Wing. We feel that from our experience this wing is most applicable for customers who either own or will purchase a SUP Foilboard and SUP Foil, or a Wind Foilboard and Windfoil.

www.Purestokesports.com

Last edited by Pepi on Wed Aug 28, 19 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 27, 19 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

Here is one.

wing-size-chart-.png 

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 27, 19 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

I was foiling at Stevenson today and there a a Wind Wing Supper going up wind. The winds were 25-35. It was the first time I had seen one going upwind.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 27, 19 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

Mark Ribcoff

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostWed Aug 28, 19 7:20 am    Listen Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/TLV4_xaYynY

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostWed Aug 28, 19 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

My hope and dream is to use mine (Gong 5m) for wind assisted sup foiling. But in waves that are sup foil friendly: ideally nicely defined points/reefs, with an easy paddle out (not lines of white water), soft take off (not pitchy), and long unbreaking walls. Oregon Coast is full of beach break thumpers, so a lot of spots wouldn't be optimal -- Seaside Cove possibly on the right day. Maybe the breaks along the Olympic Peninsula inside JDF Strait.

But the logistics are unproven and the skill level needed may be unattainable, still to be determined.

And so far, does not seem to be an effective light wind option. Even the 7m ones are listed as needing 12-15kt minimum.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 28, 19 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

Just my opinion, equipment companies are just trying to re invent kiting. You can do more with less board & headache with the kite & bar as we know it.

ZMar

Since 13 May 2018
24 Posts

PostWed Aug 28, 19 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

Don't go any bigger than a 4.2m wing and even that feels a little cumbersome. The wasp and the swing wing (not sling wing) look like the most promising options but I've only ridden the sling wing, the swing wing, and duotones wing. You'll definitely want a board over 110L and maybe a little bigger depending on your weight for your first couple sessions, especially in lighter wind. It's definitely possible to ride kite foil boards with these wings if there's enough wind, an impact vest with some float definitely helps. The wind ranges were a little optimistic for a beginner on the chart above. With a wing around 4m you want at least high teens for your first couple sessions, then once you get the hang of pumping the wing and the foil you can get up in less. If you can get ahold of Mark, he's a well of knowledge about these wings and has more experience on them than almost anyone else in the gorge.

marksride

Since 18 Dec 2007
15 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 29, 19 9:20 am    winging it Reply with quote

I'm one month into this wing thing and starting to see the possibilities.

Pro's and Con's.

Con's first.
- Not as efficient in converting wind energy into lift via the foil during takeoff.
- Your vision is partially obstructed by the wing often.
- Requires a larger board than kite foiling.
- Requires a larger foil than kite foiling.

Pro's.
- More efficient in converting wind energy into lift once up on foil. Kite size with foil I would be on a 8-10, wing size 4.2, kite size 6-7 wing size 3.5 or kite size 4-5, wing size 2.8.
- You can depower the wing 100% while riding swells and focus on riding the swell and not where your kite is.
- If the wind dies almost completely you can limp home under powered.
- With a larger foil you slow yourself down to match the speed of the swell. Same as what is happening in kiting today. I use a wing that is 1200 sq. cm. smaller than many kite foils today.

I can go on and on, but the real answer is that its different and will not be for everybody. Just like kiting. So don't worry if it is the best or the worst in all conditions, it's just another way to have fun on the water.

See you on the water.
Mark (windsurfing since 1977, kiting since 1997, foiling since 2007)

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Aug 29, 19 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Thank you Mark for posting a balanced and informative first person review. It is really helpful to hear both pros and cons from someone who has actually put in the time.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Aug 29, 19 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

The one thing that has not been brought up yet is access.

We can't kite everywhere that windsurfers can........safely.

With a wing, you can laugh pretty much anywhere there is water. You can certainly launch anywhere the windsurfers do. Even in launches with big wind shadows, all you have to do is lay down and paddle the board while the wing is leashed behind you. Paddle out to the wind line and then get going. You certainly can't do that with a kite and mostly don't want to with a windsurfer.

The place I kite most often has a huge wind shadow but has great wind out in the middle of the river. A wing would totally work here. Also doing a downwinder will be fun on them as well.

I would consider getting one if 1. the boards and foils didn't cost so much and 2. my wife would let me. LOL

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: