Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Help me Choose Two Kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 05, 20 9:22 am    Help me Choose Two Kites Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm getting back into kiteboarding after about 5 years. Moved away from HR for work/family reasons, but am now in Kennewick Tri Cities (2 hours from corridor). I'm 5'11" and 195 pounds, fatter than back then Shocked

I'm planning on directional riding with a surfboard with footstraps (what I liked doing most) and targeting bigger days at:
* Three Mile
* Arlington
* Rufus
* Corridor (loops from Hatchery down)

I liked the Slingshot RPMs best and plan on getting those again. I want two complete kites. Thinking something like a 7m and a 9m with a Slingshot Mixer 5'8" (2020 model).

I'm looking for advice on kite and board sizing. I was/am an advanced kiteboarder, but the last gear I was 2013 model year.

Thanks!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 05, 20 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Two kites is a tough one riding really anywhere. 3 makes it SO much nicer and provides way more options.

If you are all about riding swell and a directional and with the locations you're assuming riding, I really think you're going to want and need a 6m for the bigger days at 3 mile, Rufus, and Gnarlington.

The RPM is a great kite, but SS makes a more specific wave kite that you might want to consider.

Maybe get a 7m and 10m new and pickup a lightly used/low miles kites in the 6m or 5m size.

hillbillyfunk

Since 02 Jun 2009
36 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 05, 20 9:43 am     Reply with quote

I have SST's 6,8,10. And a 5 for the nuke days... I never use my 10 in the gorge as I only like the windy days....10 is for the coast. 6 gets the most use. I'm 6'2" 175. I'd say 6 and 8 rpm or sst...

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 05, 20 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Two kites is a tough one riding really anywhere. 3 makes it SO much nicer and provides way more options.

If you are all about riding swell and a directional and with the locations you're assuming riding, I really think you're going to want and need a 6m for the bigger days at 3 mile, Rufus, and Gnarlington.

The RPM is a great kite, but SS makes a more specific wave kite that you might want to consider.

Maybe get a 7m and 10m new and pickup a lightly used/low miles kites in the 6m or 5m size.

Yeah, always more gear... So, would 6, 8, 10 be the best range? Could I run all of those on one board like the 5'6" Celero?

Gnarlington... When I went there before, I'd launch inside of the marina and body drag out. Is it safe to launch off of the face of the jeddi on the new poleboard launch?

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 05, 20 9:45 am     Reply with quote

Is the SST a down-the-line specific kite? I really did like the RPMs, but they were 2013s, so no real understanding of current SS product line...

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 05, 20 9:48 am     Reply with quote

The relatively new launch site at Gnarlington for poleboarders and kiters is very nice. It still is very intimidating with how narrow and small the launch actually is and the fact that everything around you is made of rock and f*cking hard. The rocks just under the surface at the launch are also brutal. Takes two people to launch there.

You should PM Jonpnw.

Super stoked and nice individual who let's one demo SS kites.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 05, 20 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

Just take the plunge and learn to foil. Your small surfboard kite becomes your large foil kite.

Most foiling days this season I’m on a 4.5 or 6. A few 9.

Once you get it, you won’t look back.

All my surfboards and twin tips have been sold.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Go with your first instincts - not much has changed.
RPM's are great gorge/surfboard combo.
5'6" Celero is too small for 195 - recommend a 5'8" or larger.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

Ldhr is right, you'll want a 5'8"; see recent thread on surfboard fins for my take on the (2019) Mixer vs Celero FR. Slingy has 2018 Mixers left in stock for $399 which I think is a good deal. I haven't tried the 2020 Mixer which has been redesigned, but if I had to choose between Celero and Mixer for Gorge conditions I'd pick Mixer; coast riding may be different as I've had some bigger days where the Celero felt great on the swell face.

I'm 6'4" 185# and ride Naish Pivots in 5m, 7m, 9m. Used to ride Rebels in 6m, 8m, 10m but these are turnier and fly where I want them while on swell, just not as grunty. My friends rave about Neos for the same purpose, and I have 11m Neo which pulls like a mule, but honestly I'd rather learn to foil than to fly kites that size. Not as familiar with Slingy kites but loved the RPMs I've tried through the years.

I have both a 5'8" Celero and Mixer which you're welcome to try sometime; I'm in Hood River but could arrange to meet you in Roosevelt or Rufus or Arlington (I usually don't make it east of Rufus but twist my arm if conditions are right...).

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

Do not learn to foil. It’s the end of Kiting Smile!!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

Having just re-discovered 3-mile (used to go there as often as possible in windsurfing and early kiting days) I can tell you that the swell there is just epicaliciously good. Moreover, it's good even on light wind days. It's a super long fetch and swell builds up.

Have a 6m for sure if you will be hitting 3-mile/Arlington. I'd say a 9m at 3 mile will still have great swell. I'd go 6m SST and 9m RPM

Foil? If you add that tool to the belt you will rarely get skunked. 3-mile picks up in the late afternoon very often. Just checked in fact, dead all day until the 5 pm 21 mph pop. Happens a lot.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 05, 20 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Do not learn to foil. It’s the end of Kiting :-)!!

Yeah, next thing you know I'll have a wingy thingy in my hand... it's the beginning of the end.

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostWed Aug 05, 20 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Yarger,
You should just get back into windsurfing! See you out east tomorrow for the nuke

el Kolberg

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 05, 20 10:06 pm     Reply with quote

WINDUDE wrote:
Yarger,
You should just get back into windsurfing! See you out east tomorrow for the nuke

el Kolberg

No Kolberg, no. I will never ever strap another windsurfer to the top of a car and schlep all of that crap arounds. No. Booms, masts, sails, what a bunch of BS. And, no foils, or windwings, or dangle-riggers or whatever the cool kids are doing. I just want to cruise around on the surfboard, strapped in, powering down the swells cause that is the best I ever had it in 17 years of windsurfing and kiteboarding combined. I'm gonna do that again on the good days, and then drink a good beer.

It'll take me awhile to get a kit together, so this weekend will be out.
Sad

Oh, and thanks everyone for the recommendations. Thinking 6, 8, 10 and 5.8 Mixer (WITH STRAPS)

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 06, 20 5:58 am    SS Demo Reply with quote

If you care to try the SST back to back with the RPMs , I have demo kites available .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 06, 20 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

^^^^ take Jon up on his offer. He’s the SS tech rep and has a van full of kites for you to try.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 11, 20 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

WindLogik wrote:

and 5.8 Mixer (WITH STRAPS)

Curious what's drawing you to the Mixer?

For powered strapped riding in river swell I'd want something more narrow, even probably the Tyrant over the Celero (especially the 5'10 Celero, 5'6 might be okay).

I would suggest you'd be the happiest on a 6'0 Tyrant.

I would also suggest you demo an OR Duke or Jester as they are really nice boards for riding waves with power (and straps I suppose, never been a fan on straps for anything). If you like to ride waves without kite power though they are both sub par.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: