Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Viento State Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Apr 21, 19 7:13 am    Viento State Park Reply with quote

Yesterday the CGWWA had a beach cleanup at Viento. With about 20 people present and two state parks employees the place looks amazing. We removed a lot of blackberries, poison oak and other invasive stuff. The beach to the West is now open and huge.
The state parks guys will be mowing more of the area to create a park like setting down by the water.
Thanks to all the volunteers that showed up! Kiters, when you see one of the parks guys/gals and any old school CGWA member, thank them for being open to us and for all the work they put in.
I use Viento a good amount and felt compelled to help out. I hope all of you get more involved too.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostWed Jun 12, 19 4:11 pm    Viento State Park Reply with quote

OK, I don't know didly about many of the gorge kiting spots. So, is Viento State Park a good kiting location? Any info is muchly appreciated!!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 12, 19 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

Very windy when the westerlies hit, but mostly chop. Morning easterlies are the smoothest in the gorge. 8-11am are prime for foiling steady eddy's. Not the greatest launch but doable with a friend.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 12, 19 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

easy drift launch in both east and west wind. Bring some cord to attach to c-loop to get kite out from shore

Nevo

PostThu Jun 13, 19 7:09 am    Re: Viento State Park Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
OK, I don't know didly about many of the gorge kiting spots. So, is Viento State Park a good kiting location? Any info is muchly appreciated!!

The people who kite at viento 1-2 times and move on probably get tired of self launching, crappy beach (painful to walk on), and the commonly poor (gusty) winds that start in the afternoons. The folks that kite viento more frequently aren't deterred by those issues.

I personally like the solitude and consequences of that spot. You'll notice the kite in a tree on the shoreline, kind of a sad long term reminder that you don't have a nice beach there!

If you do come out to viento, try to spend 5-10 minutes cleaning up the beach while you're there. It helps a lot.

Recently people have been building fire pits where the kites pump up which really sucks. The rangers have told me this shouldn't be happening and that they will disperse the pits themselves when they see them, but we can also disperse them.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 13, 19 7:16 am    Re: Viento State Park Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:

The best thing about Viento for an out-of-towner visiting the Gorge is that it's the choice spot to launch and do your 8 mile down-winder to the Sand Bar. This stretch of the river has some of the best conditions. We normally launch & leave quickly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: