Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkite near Anchorage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nevo

PostThu Mar 21, 19 3:21 pm    Snowkite near Anchorage? Reply with quote

Any recommendations for snowkiting near Anchorage? I'm headed up there for a BC trip and am thinking of bringing the kites.

Spots, kite sizes, and places to check forecasts are all welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Mar 21, 19 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

When and for how long?

www.freeridekiting.com

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Mar 22, 19 5:37 am    snowkite Reply with quote

You can snowkite right in town on one of the lakes. It has been raining so might be too wet.

Portage Lake just past Girdwood is next closest. And 1 of the top scenic drives in the US from town. Beginner to big glaciated terrain. Also, kinda low elevation.

Next closest is Turnagain Pass, another 10miles past Portage. Great BC skiing on east side of road and kite on west side of road.

Thompson Pass is the spot with most consistent conditions. 6 hour drive from ANC.

These are the common car access spots. In Alaska, small planes are a normal form of transportation. A lot more opens up. Let me know if you need info with more spots.

Your lightwind kite (15-12) and a 9m. Snowkiting is usually done on your lightwind kite. So, you can get by with bringing 1 kite.

Where are you BC riding? Maybe bring your kite with you.

NOAA works for forecast. Check Alaska Avalanche for snow conditions.

Last I checked a few days ago, the avalanche report was HIGH from the warm temps.

Dan (EracticAKn) is always searching out new spots and can fill you in some more.

Have FUN and let us know if you have any questions.

Ken

Nevo

PostFri Mar 22, 19 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
When and for how long?

Tomorrow. 10 days.

lks

Since 06 Nov 2007
117 Posts
Anchorage, Alaska
Stoked

PostFri Mar 22, 19 8:53 pm    ALittle late in the season.... Reply with quote

...sigh. But bring kites cuz u just never know. I’d avoid portage. Here she was back in early March.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019/03/08/video-shows-icy-surface-of-portage-lake-rocking-after-glacier-calves/

Turnagain pass best bet, but rife with avalanche danger.

Signed,

Debbie Downer

PS consolation prize: Moose’s Tooth pizza and cornucopia of beers in ANC.

Nevo

PostSat Mar 23, 19 7:45 am    Re: ALittle late in the season.... Reply with quote

lks wrote:
...sigh. But bring kites cuz u just never know. I’d avoid portage. Here she was back in early March.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019/03/08/video-shows-icy-surface-of-portage-lake-rocking-after-glacier-calves/

Turnagain pass best bet, but rife with avalanche danger.

Signed,

Debbie Downer

PS consolation prize: Moose’s Tooth pizza and cornucopia of beers in ANC.

Meh no worries about being a downer. I haven't tried snowkiting yet so I don't have any love for it. I personally ride strapless and as cool as snowkiting sounds, I expect it to be way different. If we are dedicated to traditional BC touring on the splitboards thats just fine. We know we have avy concerns so it is what it is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: