Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing-tip Roll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 06, 18 1:10 pm    Wing-tip Roll Reply with quote

What would cause my wing tips to roll up when boosting? 8m RPM that's fairly new, properly inflated and correct bar/line setup. Ideas?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 06, 18 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

What do you mean by roll up?
Do you mean the wing tips are collapsing in towards the center lines?

Are you looking up while you are in the air and see this happening?

Are you sheeting in when you boost? Do you send the kite past noon?

Sheet in or out at the apex and what do you do when you start to drop towards the landing?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 06, 18 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

I see this sometimes with my 8m RPM in strong gusts, doesn't happen with 12m or 6m RPMs i have (all 2016). I inflate all to about 8psi. My suspicion is the bridle on the 8m is not perfectly tuned.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Aug 06, 18 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

Been through this with Best Kahoona's. I kite with the bar set to access backstall. This means that the back lines are a little short for general worry free cruising. I wind up sheeting out the kite all the time, even in high winds, to re-establish air flow over the canopy.

On a few of my Kahoona's, I have to set the steering lines on the last knot (furthes away from kite) to stop exactly what you are experiencing. It is just because I run with more front line length/less back line length.

If you are used to backstall, or have a kite that is good at not backstalling in higher winds, you can run into this and think it is the bridal or something wrong with the kite. Just set the back lines to be a bit longer via the depower (depower the trim strap a bit more than on other kites) or put a set of pigtails on the steering lines.

- Take this advice with a grain of salt as it is primarily derived from my experience with Kahoona's and a few other brands on friend's kites.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 06, 18 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

If you mean that the rear wing tips are folding in, you have too much front line length relative to rear lines, Either pull an inch of depower, or connect your front lines one knot in relative to your rears--a little goes a long way. Your front bridal could also be stretched, but the above will correct regardless

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 07, 18 11:21 am     Reply with quote

I’m completely sheeted in and the wing tips just fold up when I’m almost at the apex. It even did it once on a tack change when I dove the Kite hard.

I’ll try shortening the front lines a notch or two next time I’m out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: