Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Unleashed Dogs at Lyle this weekend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
IceZ1974

Since 03 May 2005
10 Posts
Redmond, Oregon

PostMon Jun 25, 18 9:55 am    Unleashed Dogs at Lyle this weekend! Reply with quote

I love Dog's and have mine with me Kiting all the time, (On a leash) but am totally sick of people just letting their dogs run wild. Jumping on peoples kites, attacking other dogs, just plain running amuk...

Its totally inconsiderate and an nuisance to everyone there. People need to understand that they arent alone on this planet and should respect the other people around them. Just because they think its cute to have "spot" run, bark, play, jump on kites/gear and it doesn't bother them doesn't mean everyone else does!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jun 25, 18 10:14 am    Re: Unleashed Dogs at Lyle this weekend! Reply with quote

IceZ1974 wrote:
I love Dog's and have mine with me Kiting all the time, (On a leash) but am totally sick of people just letting their dogs run wild. Jumping on peoples kites, attacking other dogs, just plain running amuk...

Its totally inconsiderate and an nuisance to everyone there. People need to understand that they aren't alone on this planet and should respect the other people around them. Just because they think its cute to have "spot" run, bark, play, jump on kites/gear and it doesn't bother them doesn't mean everyone else does!

Yo, Ice, "IceZ1974" baby (Not calling you a baby, just work'in some Vanilla Ice). Welcome to the forum. Different year, same subject. I agree with many of your views/sentiments--I'm a big dog lover, but some places (protected wildlife areas (ie endangered species habitat) or multi use areas dogs should be on leashes. I've had kites damaged before due to dog claws. Some dog owners just view their dog rights a bit different and or don't abide by the dog laws or just don't care.

Here are a few more posts regarding the same topic. Two of the three posts are locked so no more comments.

It has always been a contentious issue.

Might I suggest next time you see an unleashed dog, to try and find the owner, nicely and in a nonthreatening way, explain your side of the argument. Best of luck with your cause because you'll need it.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-18640.html&highlight=dogs+spit

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-8661.html&highlight=dog+shit+spit

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5046.html&highlight=dog+shit+spit

Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Jun 25, 18 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 18 12:00 pm    dogs Reply with quote

Just go somewhere else. Good luck telling the locals to put their dog on a leash

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 25, 18 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

What’s a tranq gun cost?

Not for the dog, for the owner Shocked

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 18 2:05 pm    Re: dogs Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Just go somewhere else. Good luck telling the locals to put their dog on a leash

Do local kiters get to exercise a different level of respect and consideration for others that are using "their" launch?

Or are you referring to other non-kiting beach users?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 18 2:42 pm    Re: dogs Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:

Do local kiters get to exercise a different level of respect and consideration for others that are using "their" launch?

Or are you referring to other non-kiting beach users?

My guess wannabekiter was referring more to dog owners. There are a lot of reasonable dog owners but there are many that really suck.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 18 7:27 pm    dog owner Reply with quote

I talking about the locals who don't kite

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 18 4:22 am    Re: dogs Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
My guess wannabekiter was referring more to dog owners. There are a lot of reasonable dog owners but there are many that really suck.

True in The Hood, true in my hometown, and oh my god is it true in Mexico. I asked a huge dog owner down there (a Quebequa) "Why a load of shit on the sidewalk?"... Her only answer: "But we're in Mexico!"

Every June this dog rant stuff goes on here on NWK for weeks.

windjunkieFL

Since 17 Feb 2016
29 Posts

PostTue Jun 26, 18 6:03 am     Reply with quote

Here in FL I usually have a leash-less pooch lift its leg and (try) to mark its spot on my meticulously cared for gear. I'm a huge dog lover but nowadays when dogs approach my gear I look like an A-hole yelling at it to get away and have to warn the owners that kite gear, for whatever reason, attracts dogs to mark their spot. Probably because it's a strange object in the middle of an otherwise desolate setting (beach and water). Since learning to kite in 2013, I've had my gear pissed on I think three times #firstworldproblems

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jun 26, 18 8:38 am     Reply with quote

windjunkieFL wrote:
Here in FL I usually have a leash-less pooch lift its leg and (try) to mark its spot on my . . .

Yeah I totally forgot about this . . . kites are a big attractant for dogs looking to mark territory. My kites have been subject to the golden dog shower from time-to-time.

If I see it happen I'll just soak/wash off the area with the body of water I've been kiting on. If it smells I pour some white vinegar in the area (let it soak some) that was showered and that seems to work (rinse the area w/fresh water afterwards).

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 18 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

If I see it happen I'll just soak/wash off the area with the body of water I've been kiting on. If it smells I pour some white vinegar in the area (let it soak some) that was showered and that seems to work (rinse the area w/fresh water afterwards).

Related Hijack....
I have (had) a brand new squeaky clean white Cloud kite. Then I was in a Jones dust storm that turned it piss yellow. I've crashed it 300+ times in fresh and salt water and it's still pissy. Maybe verticle load washer, gentle, no spin, mild soap?

Got a cure?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 27, 18 7:33 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Related Hijack....
I have (had) a brand new squeaky clean white Cloud kite. Then I was in a Jones dust storm that turned it piss yellow. I've crashed it 300+ times in fresh and salt water and it's still pissy. Maybe verticle load washer, gentle, no spin, mild soap?

Got a cure?

No cure on my end.

The kite has been used well it sounds. Collectors of various items seek out items with patina upon them; cars, antique wood furniture, and brass or copper items (the green color is the desired effect). I highly doubt this will add any value to your kite should you ever sell it; most likely the opposite.

The goose poop mud at Rooster has put stains in my kites before that wouldn't come out (not that I tried anything more than some elbow grease, nail bush, dawn dish soap, and warm water).

I don't know what bleach would do to the material of the kite?

I would worry that a verticle load washer might damage the kite if you tried that. It would seem that the old saying that "white doesn't stay white very long" applies to nylon too.

I wouldn't f-ck with it as I view the piss yellow color as a sign of good use and that doesn't affect the functionality of your kite.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 27, 18 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Tie-dye that hippie kite like a strutless bed sheet! Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: