Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Are you an Event Site Local?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 10, 18 10:35 am    Are you an Event Site Local? Reply with quote

If you are reading this, then we are happy to have your attention!
We, the CGKA, are in need of some help at the Event Site.

There are a set of very basic ground rules established years ago granting us the opportunity to launch and land at the Event Site during the off-season months.
We were charged with the seemingly simple task of managing our own brethren in following these rules, which has worked spectacularly over the years and made our sport a welcome site for the Port and all other users of the waterfront.

Why we need your help.
A small group of kiters are starting to launch/land their gear on the westward side of the Event Site outside of our agreed boundary lines.
These incidents are leaving a very negative mark on our stellar relationship with the Port and the other Event Site user groups.

Why this is not good

Safety : The west side of the Event Site experiences vortex winds created by the Luhr Jensen building that can wreak havoc on kite control during a launch.
Although some experienced kiters can launch successfully in that area, there have been more than a few kiters injured attempting to launch in this vortex area. Last year we had 2 people sent to the hospital because of this, and 2 the year before.
IMPORTANT REMINDER : All it takes is 1 insurance claim/suit against the Port of Hood River and ALL KITEBOARDING ACCESS ON ALL PORT PROPERTIES WOULD END INSTANTLY, including kite schools. This is a fact due to insurance protocols.

Relationships. We share the Event Site with other user groups. We have specifically been given our very own area slated just for kiters to pump/launch/land. Grabbing for more land, just because it is there and not being used at that moment makes us look like bad beach users. Do you drive in the left lane just because no one is using it, or do you follow those rules for safety's sake, even though there is no one in the other lane?

Thank you for your help, we very, very much appreciate your support.

Forcing our local CGKA reps to have to speak to each and every kiter we see launching in the wrong area is not always a positive experience, both for the person violating the rules and for the person that has to bring up the subject.

We all are down there for the same reason, to have fun kiteboarding. We don't want to have to police each and every rule violator.

Thank you
Pepi Gerald
Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Assoc

port kite launch signage.jpg 
   Event Site kite launch signage 2.jpg 

Last edited by cgka on Thu May 10, 18 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 10, 18 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

thank you CGKA for your time and energy!
It's not easy. I've lost a couple of friends after explaining the rules to them.
It's perplexing why they insist on launching west of the bathroom and get mad at me for explaining.

Has anyone suggested to the port a "kite ranger" could be employed for the weekends and busy week days?

I'd pay extra for a kite ranger.

Not sure how accurate your graphic is to scale - how close is that line to the bathroom?

Can we summarize by saying -
kites to the east of the bathroom and no kites to the west?

KiwiPaul

Since 02 Jul 2011
9 Posts

Kook

PostThu May 10, 18 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Good post thanks. Nice and clear and the explanation about insurance is helpful.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 10, 18 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

UPDATE - Chalk lines for the Launch and Landing Zones are being painted by Friday, as well as duplicate signage to be put on sandwich boards front and center in the launch area so that no one can overlook the user guidelines.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 11, 18 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Chalk lines are now on the grass launch/land areas.
Signage will be out by this afternoon hopefully.

I will not be policing this activity, as I do not have the time, nor the patience to be playground patrol officer at the Event Site.

At this point in the game, how the Kite Community treats this launch privilege communicates loudly to the Port Officials about whether or not kiteboarding should be allowed or continue to be allowed access at the Event Site during the off season. Ditto with Pump/Dry privileges.

At the end of the day, it will only take one insurance injury claim against the Port (either a kiter or a spectator) and kiteboarding will be cancelled from all Port of Hood River properties by their insurance carrier.

- Pepi

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon May 14, 18 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Lets all be good stewards of the launch to ensure we don't loose the privilege to launch and land here.

[b]. If you see someone blatantly rigging, launching, landing outside the kite area, ask them if they are familiar with the rules and if they could kindly comply

. pick up after yourself and or your pet
. remind beginners that this is an advanced launch due to turbulent winds
. be mindful of where you set your gear down and try and cycle it to the South after
your session so others can get on the water without walking through a maze of
kites, lines and boards

Once the water goes down, we will be launching from the sand again, in the meantime, please help out and be a team player.

Also, I am certain that the CGKA along with the CGWA will have some cleanups in the near future. Please come out and give a hand.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 15, 18 10:50 am     Reply with quote

It would be nice to reign supreme on my old windsurfing gear out there again. It'd be 1989 all over again, well except everyone would be 60 years old. Wink

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 15, 18 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
It would be nice to reign supreme on my old windsurfing gear out there again. It'd be 1989 all over again, well except everyone would be 60 years old. Wink

Huh? Pushing 70. (and this is the very first time I've used that phrase)

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 18, 18 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Update!

New extended launch boundary lines are in place now at the Event Site. Apologies for some not-so-perfect straight lines (maintenance crews have been in overtime mode so the CGKA was given permission to remark the lines ourselves)but they are in place with a little extra space.
Very grateful for the support from Daryl at the Port of Hood River for her unflinching continued support for helping the kite, sup and windsurf communities work together.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue May 22, 18 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

I went to the ES last Sunday to get a session in and was surprised at the activity at the launch. Yes, it was crowded, but it was the poor judgement and lack of skills that made this day different from any other day I have launched there. I also noticed quite a few instances where kite holders did not know how to manage a kite that was powered up because there was line tension and they were too far back in the wind window. At one point there were five or six little kids playing on the east end and a kiter trying to launch dropped his kite hard two feet from one of the kids. There was enough force to hurt the kid if it hit him. Had that kite been two more feet downwind, there would have been a difficult public/port relations issue to over come. In another instance, two kiters had their lines crossed and were working on a solution, when a third kite tomahawks a few feet from them. It was like watching a Keystone Cops movie.

Mistakes happen at all experience levels, but almost all of these mistakes happened because of a lack of knowledge of launching fundamentals.

Something simple like the following could avoid a lot of these problems

The kiter and kite holder should have a quick conversation to confirm positions and signals before positioning themselves 25m away from each other and yelling instructions that may or may not be understood.

I am not an alarmist, but it seems like an accident is waiting to happen there. I would be hard pressed to go to the ES next holiday weekend for a session. Hopefully things get better as the summer progresses.

Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Tue May 22, 18 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostTue May 22, 18 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

Watched the same thing happen last year. The small beach (during normal levels) right in front of the warning sign is a favorite play in the sand/picnic spot for parents and their toddlers.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 22, 18 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Excellent information SalmonSlayer.
Thank you for sharing.

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Mistakes happen at all experience levels, but almost all of these mistakes happened because of a lack of knowledge of launching fundamentals.

Something simple like the following could avoid a lot of these problems

The kiter and kite holder should have a quick conversation to confirm positions and signals before positioning themselves 25m away from each other and yelling instructions that may or may not be understood.

I am not an alarmist, but it seems like an accident is waiting to happen there. I would be hard pressed to go to the ES next holiday weekend for a session. Hopefully things get better as the summer progresses.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

The person should hold the kite slightly upwind of the kiter then walk downwind until the kite is filled with wind, Since the kiters movement is limited when launching at the ES, it is more of a responsibility of the launcher, or an experienced kiter to use hand signals.

the CGKA or Port should have an identifiable monitor to guide people during crowded/high water times. That is more of a responsibility of local kiters if we don't want to get shut down. Mark did a great job.

Not too many kiters want to give up their weekend to monitor the masses so some compensation/recognition would be appropriate.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 23, 18 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

undertow wrote:

the CGKA or Port should have an identifiable monitor to guide people during crowded/high water times. That is more of a responsibility of local kiters if we don't want to get shut down. Mark did a great job.

Not too many kiters want to give up their weekend to monitor the masses so some compensation/recognition would be appropriate.

We try looking in to this every year, but american liability, and, even more challenging, Oregon liability issues, have our hands tied behind back.
It's getting more and more difficult to be helpful without exposing yourself to liability lawsuits.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed May 23, 18 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

cgka wrote:
It's getting more and more difficult to be helpful without exposing yourself to liability lawsuits.

Got to love the U.S. of A. lawsuit nature of solving human stupidity.

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostMon Jun 18, 18 8:56 am     Reply with quote

What happened to the good old days where everybody launched from
The sandbar? It always seemed safer. It seems like it would be sweet if the grass was landing only and you had to launch from the sandbar.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 18, 18 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Mtjustice100 wrote:
What happened to the good old days where everybody launched from
The sandbar? It always seemed safer. It seems like it would be sweet if the grass was landing only and you had to launch from the sandbar.

Wow - that's a really great idea!
You have my vote.

Guessing we'll see an announcement very soon that we're not allowed to use the grass for launch or land now that the sandbar is back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: