Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

you're kiting out in the ocean and the big 1 hits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Feb 13, 18 9:57 am    you're kiting out in the ocean and the big 1 hits Reply with quote

So this is kind of dark "what if" thinking, but the Columbia waters are too cold for me to try and kite and I've almost forgotten what powder snow feels like. And so I am left to re-live past experiences and memories both on the slopes and in the many big green rooms on the coast.

My neighbor has arranged a street meeting and will bring in a speaker to talk to all of us about the big earthquake that is past due and will hit this region some time in the future. The handouts my neighbor gave me have been informative, but all the planning in the world simply can't combat timing. As the saying goes, "life is all about timing."

One could be ready with all the gear and plans, but if you're down at the bottom of a basement parking garage structure, or on an old bridge while crossing the Willamette or Columbia, or doing laps in the basement pool of your athletic club and the big one hits you're probably going to be screwed BIGTIME.

So I'll get to my kiteboarding scenario. . . what if you were out on the ocean kiting. It could be on a long downwinder up at Lot B, or Manzanita, or just south of the south jetty at Newport.

If you noticed the water ebbing/rusting out big time what would you do?

Lets just say winds were either SW or NW. I suspect that the draw of the waters would greatly accelerate one's apparent speed (opposing forces).

Personally, I'd try and head out to sea and get into deep waters if I could maintain a plane and get past any breaking swell and fast speeds created by a soon to come tsunami wave. If successful, I then would ride back and forth in a safe zone for as long as I could. Attemping to try and come onto or into land would be a bitch with all the debris coming back out to sea.

Probably the worst coastline out of the 3 mentioned is Lot B. Lot B coastline has a very shallows waters. Manzanita probably would experience the smallest of tsunami waves as it probably has the deepest waters closest to shore and Newport would be somewhere in the middle (the river mouth would be a bad place to be in Newport).

Opinions?

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 13, 18 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds fun. but it could be dangerous.
I think heading out to sea until the swell passses or even ride the swell for a while. then head in hitting the debris field like like a slider park would be fun. rescue a few puppies in the process.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Feb 13, 18 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

This is a pretty good recounting of what someone actually riding a tsunami. I surf with this guy all the time and he is still charging huge hanalei well into his 70's. Sounds like your plan is spot on!!! There is a new national geographic special I just saw and it looks like it will happen soon or we might all be dead for 100 years or more, but it will happen. Great post btw.

http://www.swellnet.com/news/talking-heads/2016/03/31/felipe-pomar-winning-world-titles-riding-tsunami-and-surfing-until-100

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Feb 13, 18 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Depending upon wind direction you might get a great big wind shadow from the giant Tsuanmi wave you are hoping to cross.

edcinfg

Since 17 Aug 2015
34 Posts
United States

PostTue Feb 13, 18 10:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hate to burst your bubble, but the chances of this happening to you are just next to zero .... Think about it, all the opportunity time a Tsunami of this magnitude has to strike vs your time kiting in this spot at this time.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 13, 18 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

edcinfg wrote:
Hate to burst your bubble, but the chances of this happening to you are just next to zero .... Think about it, all the opportunity time a Tsunami of this magnitude has to strike vs your time kiting in this spot at this time.

OK, but, "what if" I was trying to kite on the moon with a mountain board and a solar kite? Obviously one side of the kite would be gold leaf but would the other side be black? and would it be like 100m2?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Feb 14, 18 10:09 am    Did you go to Harvard or Yale? Is it Chip or Charles? Reply with quote

edcinfg wrote:

Wow, impressive computational skillzzz and final analysis and opinion!

Did you go to Harvard or Yale for your actuary degree?

NSS--stands for No Sh*t Sherlock.

I'm bored, no kiting and no fresh pow pow of any sort.

I'm just trying to fill the time. . .

Link

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Feb 15, 18 4:50 am     Reply with quote

Newport or Lot B? And I figgered there was a 90 % chance you’d be in La Ventana, where there’s no flat water to speak of and no waves to worship, looking for your lost salt shaker and busted flip flops while waiting on the “Big One”. 😉

....Spring’s just around the corner, hang on Cap’n!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: