Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dan_Kaler

Since 11 Aug 2016
8 Posts

Kook

PostTue Dec 05, 17 4:24 pm    Snowkiting Reply with quote

Hey All,

I am looking at a road trip from the Hood River area back to Minnesota in 2 weeks time. As I am planning out my route I am trying to dial in some snowkiting along the way. So far my research has taken me towards Mt. Haggin and Camas Valley. However, neither of these locations look to have any reliable snow conditions. Does anyone have any beta on these spots or know where I can find some more information? Any other locations I should be keeping an eye on between HR and Minnesota? I'd prefer somewhere with a park and ride or short hike.

Thanks!
Dan

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Dec 05, 17 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

Between Alexandria, MN and Fergus Falls, MN looks to have a good grass filling base right now by Intellicast snowcover maps (click "pan & zoom" then change "opacity" to like 80%). But you will need more to get on the rocky terrain.

http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weather/Snow/Cover.aspx

There is some good terrain up there, but the steep gnarly stuff is almost rare. And you will trash your ski or snowboard bases as these "terrain spots" are terrain that was carved by glacial activity (rocks!). Parking is limited and most of the terrain spots are wildlife management areas that are typically only used for hunting. When it snows, no one plows the access roads inside of these areas. So you may walk, and bring a shovel to make your own place to pull off the road.

Or stop by Lake Christina just off of the interstate north of Pelican Lake (close to a good WMA with gentle terrain). Christina is one of the first lakes to freeze up as it is so shallow. Some Minnesota kiters get their first snowkiting on this lake.

Or the I-29 corridor from Sioux Falls up to Watertown, SD has some of the best terrain you can find. Snakey steep valleys no more that 30ft deep, so you get to keep your kite in wind while you go cornice riding. Then there are some gliding hills that top out at around 80ft elevation change. The rare 100fter does exist, but those are kind of a pain, wind-shadowing the kite and such. If I wanted wind shadows, I'd go to the mountains.

And there are lots more spots I have kited in Nebraska and Iowa if there is snow.

PM me if you want more info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: