Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Playa Del Carmen Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostFri Jan 20, 17 11:08 pm    Playa Del Carmen Info Reply with quote

Headed to Playa for a wedding and will be taking my quiver along. Anyone have any helpful information I should know about the locations? I figured I'd start on the kite beach on the south side of town and explore from there. Please share any information you have. I've done a lot of research on the web but still feel like I don't know what to expect. Thank you all!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jan 21, 17 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, I have kited there a few times in February. Not sure about the rest of the year but for sure bring a big kite , 14 or 17m (I weigh 200lbs roughly) Best time to score wind I found was the early morning, like 5am to 9am and in the evenings right before dark. A wet suit is not really needed but that obviously depends on you. You would for sure be warm enough in a wet suit top or shortie. Unless you are staying at one of the hotels access can be tricky. The locals tend to hit a spot close to the ferry right just as you enter the gated community south of town .

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jan 21, 17 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Also, occasionally the north winds kick in this time of year and you wilook need a smaller kite. Last time I went I brought a 9, 12 and 14.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jan 21, 17 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Never done Playa but Tulum Rocks!!!!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jan 21, 17 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

+1 for tulum.... same wind situation but there is so much more to do and see

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostSun Jan 22, 17 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

Ride the collectivos if you want to see stuff and get around for dirt cheap. We saw a lot of ruins and cenotes via collectivo. Sadly, I hadn't started kiting yet last time I was there... but the Tulum ruins are sweet. Chichen Itza is close, too (about 2 hrs drive)... and it's one of the 7 Wonders. We rented a car for one day and went. It's epic!

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 03, 17 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

For the next guy/gal looking for information:
Tulum is an awesome area to kite.
The further south of town the better it gets.
Don't bank on renting anything from the kite schools.
```VERY used gear
```Won't have the kites you need
That being said, all of the guys I talked to were super cool and were willing to help in anyway they could. Unfortunately they just didn't have what many of us needed.
Bring LIGHT wind kites, there were many of us who were skunked on certain days due to not having 14m kites.
It's an amazing area to vacation and I will definitely be back in the near future.
I flew Alaskan and my "golf" bag flew for free.
If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.
D

bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostFri Feb 17, 17 2:30 pm    Playa Reply with quote

Kiting sucks in Playa and hopefully you don't get jacked, sick or shot at Blue Parot. Tulum is better and down south. Been 3 times. Tell your friends you want them to get married in Maui like rational people. 😄

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: