Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Leaking Dump Valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostMon Aug 08, 16 9:08 am    Leaking Dump Valve Reply with quote

I have a 2015 10M Rally. When I pump it up full (10-12psi) I hear a hiss coming from the dump valve.

Looking at it, it appears that the plug is being forced out by the pressure. If I push it in all the way and make sure the velcro cover is really tight it tends to stop. Not really comforting to be out on the water thinking my valve could fail at any time.

Short of a full valve replacement, is there something I could do to the existing valve to ensure a tight, non-leaking plug. eg some goop to put on the plug, or a zip tie around the outside of the valve ...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 16 9:43 am     Reply with quote

the valve might be made out a rubber/plastic material that has memory.
you might try submersing the valve in hot water and letting it cool.
that might encourage the valve to return to it's original shape.
life's too short to be messing with a leaky valve - for peace of mind - take the kite to Airtime in HR and they'll put a new valve on for you.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Aug 08, 16 9:59 am    maybe Reply with quote

might not help your situation, but....

when i am done kiting, i leave both the small fill plug and the big dump plug out. as in not closed. this way the plugs are not stretching the necks when the kite is stored. i find it makes for tighter fitting plugs.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1805 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 16 10:11 am     Reply with quote

^^^

Very important re leaving plugs out when done

Hot water may do the trick. Don't heat up the glue that holds the plug base flush to the bladder, however. Just immerse the male and female plug union parts.

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostMon Aug 08, 16 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Here I have been putting the plugs back in on purpose.

I had heard/read it was a: to keep the shape of the valves uniform, b: keep sand/grit/whatnot out of the bladder.

I'll try the hot water, but yes in the end I'll take it to Airtime. Just need a string of consecutive days where I won't need my 10m.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 16 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Could the "zip tie fix" work in this case? I've read here and on PSKite where you enclose the valve collar in a small zip-tie, tension it some to reduce the inside diameter of the opening. Then your plug is tight next time.
Look here:
http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10076&start=0&hilit=zip+tie#p76291

Always remove and store with all valves open. I think Naish's all state this in a warning label.

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostMon Aug 08, 16 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the link wylieflyote, I know I had seen a similar solution on this forum, but I couldn't find it today before posting.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry for the hijack, but is 10-12psi the way to go? I've been pumping my '14 Rallys (or is it "Rallies") to 8-8.5 as I thought 8psi was the magic number (of course pump gauges are probably not all that accurate). Frankly, I've felt they are too soft at 8, so if 10-12 is okay, I'd like to give that a go (or a perhaps 9-ish). My 10m is the one I'm generally concerned about. Thanks for letting me play through.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 08, 16 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Great tip about keeping the valves open, I always kept the inflate valve in after deflating (basically I never touch it when deflating), but I'll change that now.
All my 2014 Rally and RPM kites need to be at least at 9psi or they will loose their shape in gusts or when steered rapidly (and won't boost that well). 2016 Rally behaves a little better, but the 2014's I have need to be rock hard to fly right.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks VT.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 16 4:56 pm    kite pressure Reply with quote

I've always maintained you can't put too much air in with a manual pump. However, my buddy was trying out a new high end pump, and proceeded to overinflate his kite with very little effort. Leading edge center seam split, he stopped just before it would have blown.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Dangler. Thanks again gnac for the hijack.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostTue Aug 09, 16 9:59 pm    I had the same problem. Reply with quote

I own a 2015 10m RPM which I purchased new. I had the same problem when after several sessions I kept noticing each time the kite was softer after a couple of hrs on the water. Finally I found that the dump valve was leaking in the same way as you describe. I also own a 2015 7m RPM but its dump valve did not leak.

I called Slingshot support and have to say they were very responsive! I wanted to let them know about the problem as I was planning to buy a valve from airtime and replace it myself (I had done that a few years before) or have Airtime do it for me.

I never considered any other solutions. A new valve will give you piece of mind. I have used the 10m a couple of times after the valve replacement and there are no issues at all.

I would suggest contact Slingshot support to let them know that this may be a recurring problem. If you purchased the kite new it may still be under warranty.

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostTue Aug 09, 16 11:10 pm     Reply with quote

Good idea lubomm. I honestly never thought to call slingshot direct; I bought the kite used, but still, I'm sure the worst case would be 15 minutes of wasted phone time, best case a repaired kite.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 11, 16 9:48 am    Oldie but a goodie Reply with quote

Hopefully this guy didn't have a leaking dump valve.

biggest secret at secret spot.jpg 

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 11, 16 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Butt for the grace of Seal Cement, there goes I.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostThu Aug 11, 16 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Makes one rethink going commando under the wetsuit (another reason a seat harness can be a real asset)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: