Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lighter lines? Light wind on 18M...cruising...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostMon Jul 06, 15 9:12 pm    Lighter lines? Light wind on 18M...cruising... Reply with quote

Ok,
So, here's a little weird question.
I love flying longer lines 30M+ but find my fat old 800LB lines induce a LOT of drag while flying. Not bad, but wondering if I could get more out of my kite with a "lighter" set of lines.

What would you all feel a "safe" poundage of 30-35M line-set for light wind cruising (sub 17MPH), 210lb guy on a 18M and light wind TT.

Note- I kite loop a bunch in my lighter conditions, so take into consideration of line wear, but I do pretty much just mow the lawn in those conditions anyway...

Opinions?

Thanks!
Steve

Oh- Yes...I keep eyeballing foils...too...so that's already duly noted.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 07, 15 6:27 am     Reply with quote

I like the ozone lines and they come standard up to 27M in length. The race lines are lighter but IMO, too light.

http://ozonekitesusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ozone2015_kitesurf_lines_length

I think there is a point of demising return and at 210lbs, I have settled on 27M Slingshot lines on a 13M three strut kite (Core Riot) with my foil board gets me out in 11kts-12kts of wind without much effort. Any lighter and it becomes "hard work".

Losing weight is going to get me out in lighter conditions.

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostTue Jul 07, 15 11:06 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Dwayne,
So, 500#front/300#rear...(I think mine are all same poundage)..

dwaynej wrote:
I like the ozone lines and they come standard up to 27M in length. The race lines are lighter but IMO, too light.

http://ozonekitesusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ozone2015_kitesurf_lines_length

I think there is a point of demising return and at 210lbs, I have settled on 27M Slingshot lines on a 13M three strut kite (Core Riot) with my foil board gets me out in 11kts-12kts of wind without much effort. Any lighter and it becomes "hard work".

Losing weight is going to get me out in lighter conditions.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 08, 15 7:16 am     Reply with quote

Yep - Need to look at the lines to confirm they are thinner than your current lines. My Ozone standard lines were clearly thinner than Slingshot or Cabrinha lines.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Jul 08, 15 8:38 am     Reply with quote

I have some of the Marlow 4g 1.8mm kite line. Seems really thin for 450 kg breaking strength. I would donate a bit to Nak for some testing if he wanted it. It is hard to find here in the US.

For a 210lb guy (I am 225lb), I would not reduce strength below 800lb test if you do not want to create another problem. When I switched from stock lines to home made Jerry Brown 800lb line for my front lines as per Nak's post, I noticed an increase in depower and wind range of my kites. They stretch way less than stock Best and North lines with the loose braid. I think that Naish lines with the tight braid stretch a bit less than other brands loose braids but I am still sold on the Jerry Brown linesets. Very noticeable increase in depower with my new linesets. Of note is that I use Best Kahoona's which have a tendency to somewhat violently power up if you want them too. Usually I do use that instant violent pull on purpose. Other kites like a SS Rally may be more gentle with the power band and I would theorize that you would not notice as much of a difference in depower with easier going kites. But if you increase the potential stretch, of your front lines, you will have more "auto sheet in" from the front line stretch when a gust hits your kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: