Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Salmon Foil Fishing in the SF Bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
loscocco

Since 20 Aug 2008
82 Posts

PostSun Aug 03, 14 8:59 pm    Salmon Foil Fishing in the SF Bay Reply with quote

Salmon Foil Fishing
This weekends accidental kite foil fishing catch of a 19.5 lb 36" long salmon at Sherman Island in the Sacramento river certainly has to be one of the craziest things that has ever happened to me in 10 years of kiting.
I was about a 3/4 of a mile upwind from the Sherman Island launch kiting on my 6m Ocean Rodeo kite and Spotz hydrofoil when I hit something with the foil and went flying off the board. I am used to occasionally hitting fish, logs, seaweed etc on the foil so i didn't think much of it but knew it wasn't a sandbar since i was in the middle of the channel. Got back up on my foil and about 20 feet back near where I had just crashed I saw a large fish that was stunned and flopping around. similar to like when i have run into striped bass in the bay. I went to try to pick it up and then i realized that it was a giant salmon. It was hit pretty hard and was def dying.
It was so slippery that the only way to hold it was to put my hand thru the gills while grabbing onto my kite bar. The teeth were tearing into my skin and i was starting to bleed also.
Foiling downwind while holding onto a swinging slimy 20lb weight resulted in several more good wipeouts but i managed to make it most of the way back. In the process of trying to foil in with it near the shore i crashed my kite in the reeds and had to relaunch it out of the reeds while still holding onto the fish.
Finally made it back to the beach and with everyone helping to carry it back to the parking lot got it put on ice in a tub. BTW... whosever keg bucket i ended up with i need to get it back to you... with some fresh salmon Thanks!!

Quite an experience!!

Last edited by loscocco on Sun Aug 03, 14 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 03, 14 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

epic!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Aug 03, 14 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

Epic!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

PostSun Sep 07, 14 10:33 am     Reply with quote

40000 Salmon came over Bonneville yesterday[url] http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Environment/Fish/Cameras.aspx

Be careful out there today

cool breeze

Since 05 Oct 2009
26 Posts
mtn

PostSun Sep 07, 14 10:49 am     Reply with quote

ya nice catch!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 07, 14 11:57 am     Reply with quote

That is effing awesome!! Nice catch !!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 08, 14 7:01 am     Reply with quote

That deserves an evening news spot, It's got to be a first!

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 08, 14 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Nice kill...looks tasty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: