Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

what level IKO will find Event Site safe?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
AlexZotov

Since 23 Jun 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jun 23, 14 4:12 pm    what level IKO will find Event Site safe? Reply with quote

My wife and I took a week of kiting lessons in a safe Caribbean bay. We can launch, ride upwind if there is enough power, do transitions, learning to jump. Our IKO cards got checked all the way up to "N". However, we have little actual experience: several days of riding in steady tropical winds with 2 people in the bay probably doesn't amount for much experience needed in gusty Gorge winds with 50 kiters and windsurfers around you and the Black Holes on the map (one of us is a long-time Gorge windsurfer who can make this observation). So we are trying to figure out if it's safe for us to launch at the Event Site's sandbar on our own.

We checked the guide on nwkite.com... OMG all this talk of the Black Hole, crowds, and eddy current sounds intimidating.

So what would be recommendations... is it safe? If we rode upwind only a couple of days, is it going to work for us? (will we do well to get away from the Black Hole?) Will the current help here? (shall we try and get into the channel fast?)

How do people progress from this point? (go to Jones beach or the Jetty Island?) or can there be a safe progression from the Sand Bar?

And last question... any advantages in going to the other side sand bar in front of Jensen, or going Lyle?

Thanks!
Alex

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostMon Jun 23, 14 5:19 pm    my 2 cents Reply with quote

Begin your experience on a weekday and arrive early in the day.
Summer winds usually begin to blow @ 11.
There are lots of helpful people. Ask for help and advice.
Pump your kite on the grass and wade over to the sandbar.
rig your lines and find a helpful kiter to launch your kite.
Do not trust non kiters to launch or catch your kite.
If you can ride up wind do so immediately and get up above the event site traffic.
If you don't get upwind you will come back into the sandbar and need to walk your kite back to the south end of the bar where you will relaunch and try again. walk with your kite in the air, it is excellent practice.
There is a sweet spot between the event site and the waterfront park.
Mow the lawn here and get your stamina up, practice self rescue here.
Once your confidence increases work up to the white salmon bridge area.
Yes the current helps , the wind shadow downwind of wells island makes wind on the Oregon side of the river more fluky.
Just get upwind and stay in the middle of the river.
the barges are on the Washington side and easily avoidable, but keep your eyes peeled.
hundreds of people have progressed from beginner to advanced or expert off the sandbar.
Have fun and if you can't make sense of it take another lesson.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 23, 14 8:49 pm    Jones is great! Reply with quote

The Sandbar can be overly crowded on Holiday weekends but weekdays are fine. This time of year, the water is warmed up (at least 4/3 for beginners though) and the current has backed off. You'll get offered lots of advice if you ask at the event site and usually a lost board is picked up and returned to you in the water. It's the best place to start in the Gorge except for Jones Beach. The problem with Jones is that it doesn't have as many windy days and sometimes you'll be riding alone if its a weekday. The beach is better and the wind is steadier, so go there on a weekend where Portland is clear, 80+, and the coast is 15+ Nw wind. You won't be alone on a day like that, bring a 9m and 12m. Otherwise stick to the Sandbar. Avoid sailing off the end of the sandbar as the wind is bad and the first 200 meters off the swim park has decent wind, but the White Salmon Bridge is the best in that area.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 23, 14 8:57 pm     Reply with quote

^^^ excellent advice. Ask lots of questions, almost everybody at the event site/sandbar is very friendly and willing to help. The sandbar acts like a giant catcher's mitt for those who can't stay upwind. It is good to be aware of the black holes but they are easily avoided. see you soon!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 23, 14 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

As the others have said, go out in the morning when it’s not busy. Often I was one of maybe 5 kites out there at 9am. I got lessons just west of Wells island so I didn’t really know the protocol for the sand bar. When I decided to buy my gear I couldn’t even stay up wind, go to the right properly or turn so you have nothing to worry about. I just asked a lot of questions, stayed away from lessons, stayed away from other beginners, buoys and windsurfers. My wife was also learning at the same time which was awesome as we could share a quiver, tell each other to “suck it up and get out there” and keep an eye out as the other rode around. The big challenge at first is actually looking around you and taking your eyes off of the kite, force yourself to look around. make sure to make a point of looking upwind and when you decide to turn in the other direction.

After your first morning session hang around until its get busier and watch how folks are launching, walking with the kite while on the bar and move their kites relative to each other when on the water.

Regarding Jones, it does help a lot to be honest if anything just getting you used to ridding in chop. Its also far less busy.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostTue Jun 24, 14 6:26 am     Reply with quote

All great advice.
Having spent our first week of kiting there after learning, my advice is work up gradually to going into the strongest current/biggest waves where the wind is faster and you're more likely to get overpowered, and that makes body dragging back to your board challenging. If you get separated from your board straight upwind from the sandbar, there are usually helpful kiters around to retrieve it, and if not it will usually wash up on the sandbar.
I got stranded my first day in the Black Hole for about 20 minutes with my kite in the water waiting for the wind to come back, and it was because I stayed out too long when it started lulling. Keep an eye open for when most kiters are heading in, as the wind can change quickly.

AlexZotov

Since 23 Jun 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jun 24, 14 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Thanks!! Very helpful, a confidence builder thread with what sounds like great safety pointers. See you all on the river Smile

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
261 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 24, 14 11:31 am    as you are heading out into the channel, be ready Reply with quote

for the Wells Island wind shadow. It extends all the way down to the far end of The Sandbar. Punch/pump your way through, The wind and current on the other side will get you upwind quick. Once you kite The Gorge, everplace else will be easy!

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostTue Jun 24, 14 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

The sandbar is a great place to further your skills. My wife is on her 3rd year and primarily learned on the sandbar. We are up most weekends from Thursday through Sunday if you would like we can give you a launch and any tips that come to mind, PM us if you like and we will give ya our number. I don't think the sandbar is anything to be afraid of but its always nice to have someone watching out for ya.
Cheers. Nick & Allie

Bear

Since 16 Feb 2013
33 Posts
Tacoma

PostWed Jun 25, 14 7:59 am     Reply with quote

I am at a similar skill level to the OP. What about going East? Would Rufus or Roosevelt be a better alternative to the Sandbar or do they have their own set of drawbacks for relative beginner?

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 25, 14 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Rufus has a lot of current so you could lose your board easily but there are always others kiting there. Lyle would be better since it's set up with its own sandbar but you'd likely be alone. Only go if you can bring an experienced buddy along.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
261 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 25, 14 11:10 am    Roosevelt is a great spot Reply with quote

The launch can be challenging, but very fun place to kite

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
261 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 25, 14 11:11 am    Roosevelt is a great spot Reply with quote

The launch can be challenging, but very fun place to kite

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 25, 14 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

Rufus and Roosie, can you kite there as a beginner? yes but

they both have not-so-easy launches, they both have strong current and they both have no easy way to walk back.

Should you go there as a beginner is another question all together.
I have had to rescue a lot of novices at Rufus and they did not seem to be having fun at all.

just sayin'

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 25, 14 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

+1 on the Event Site / Sandbar and asking experienced people there for help. Late in the evening on summer days the wind can shift and get lighter, so I agree to go on the earlier side. Some days (clear skies) tend to be steadier than others, so launch depowered and if the gusts seem too strong come back in and rig smaller. You may already know this but don't keep the kite at 12:00, especially if the gusts are strong.

You'll see lots of kiters head upwind and either keep going or be hanging by the bridge on the other side to play in the swell. If you see them all coming back at the same time, or notice people (and yourselves) having to work their kites a lot, the wind is shutting down so head back to the sandbar and enjoy a beverage at the nearby cafe.

Enjoy!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 25, 14 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

I guess the other thing I would add is to stay out of the channel for the first few times until you’ve learned to ride while really powered. Essentially where you see the water turn from chop into small waves close to Washington. Crashing a lot while learning to turn, jump etc in this area can be a little “uncomfortable” as Its harder to body drag when super powered, you’re getting hit by waves and your right in the path of boats.

I may get cut down on the forum for giving this advice but here is goes….
the best advice I got regarding body dragging when super powered was to not look for the board when you get yarded, just immediately do a tack to one side for 10secs and then to the other side for another 10 and the board will almost always be in front of you. The logic here being for every second you look for the board the current is taking your board further upwind plus if you change direction too often you lose ground when bringing the kite across the wind window. Since I got this advice I’ve gotten back to my board every time and within a two to three tacks.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 26, 14 9:00 am     Reply with quote

I don't think you should avoid the channel, the wind is the best there.

But keep the kite low, put your head down, hold your breath. If you keep your kite high, it's going to lift your body out of the water and you won't make it up wind.

jerp wrote:
I guess the other thing I would add is to stay out of the channel for the first few times until you’ve learned to ride while really powered. Essentially where you see the water turn from chop into small waves close to Washington. Crashing a lot while learning to turn, jump etc in this area can be a little “uncomfortable” as Its harder to body drag when super powered, you’re getting hit by waves and your right in the path of boats.

I may get cut down on the forum for giving this advice but here is goes….
the best advice I got regarding body dragging when super powered was to not look for the board when you get yarded, just immediately do a tack to one side for 10secs and then to the other side for another 10 and the board will almost always be in front of you. The logic here being for every second you look for the board the current is taking your board further upwind plus if you change direction too often you lose ground when bringing the kite across the wind window. Since I got this advice I’ve gotten back to my board every time and within a two to three tacks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: