Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ponds lately?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 23, 19 4:36 pm    Ponds lately? Reply with quote

Does anyone go to the ponds anymore? This time a year there use to be regular postings of east wind stoke at Fort Stevens. Just wondering. I might hit it this week if the forecast stays true.

Cheers!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Feb 26, 19 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Enjoyed a solo, sunny sesh at the ponds this morning. Powered 6m till the tide ran out and walked back. Cheers!

C8D378DA-11C6-4747-A920-8152DE514963.jpeg 

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Feb 27, 19 9:42 am     Reply with quote

I'm jelly! Maybe doing the Oregon thing year round could work.......Wait....that means that I have hit the point in which I have had too much snowkiting this season. And it looks like winter will hold on for most of March back here in the Widwest. So its going to be a long month of waiting for open water.

And that pic is awesome!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Feb 27, 19 10:29 am     Reply with quote

I'd go out there regularly if I knew of a reliable way to predict the wind at The Ponds. I live in Portland so that's a bit of a drive when I'm not even sure if there's going to be wind or other people kiting. I'd love to go out there, though. Do the water temps stay around 45-50 this time of year?

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 27, 19 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

Water temp was probably 48-49. I was layered in a 5/4 and didn't think anything about it. I have had decent success with the ponds. I look for a strong east wind forecast for a few days straight. I'll then go for the weekend and hit the ponds on the strongest east day and surf the other. You can pretty much at least double the Clatsop spit wind meter to see what's going on there. Tides are another issue. Too high, no where to setup. Too low, you can drive your truck and do donuts. For safety, an incoming tide is best. But for a small boost in your apparent wind, I like an ebb tide.

Funny. I used to always see other kiters there. Now, rarely. Maybe everyone has gone south. Or the hardcore kiters have moved on. It's still a fully charged sensory overload to hit the ponds on a blustery, sunny, cold PNW winter day! My toes just tingle thinking about it! Winter stoke is not for wimps!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 28, 19 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't gone to the ponds in years! I need to do that this year. It's hard to do the cold weather kiting when I'm getting 4 - 5 session a month in Hawaii... But still, the ponds are awesome!

brunoz

Since 28 Feb 2019
1 Posts

PostThu Feb 28, 19 10:06 pm     Reply with quote

I still go out there regularly!

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 01, 19 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

East winds reaching the ponds are few and far between the last couple of years. Its hard to dial in a session, and usually is not going on weekends. I'm always watching, maybe hit it next Tuesday.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Mar 04, 19 7:54 am     Reply with quote

no such things as too much snowkiting!

Matt V wrote:
I'm jelly! Maybe doing the Oregon thing year round could work.......Wait....that means that I have hit the point in which I have had too much snowkiting this season. And it looks like winter will hold on for most of March back here in the Widwest. So its going to be a long month of waiting for open water.

And that pic is awesome!

www.freeridekiting.com

westbeach40

Since 11 Sep 2006
56 Posts
PNW

PostMon Mar 04, 19 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Been awhile since I posted but there's still a bunch of us going out to Damon point

Not to much kiting in the vid but if your bored

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: