Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA - JUNE! 9/10 wknd launching in Hood River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 09, 12 10:14 am    CGKA - JUNE! 9/10 wknd launching in Hood River Reply with quote

First off, yes, there is very little to no sandbar showing as of Saturday morning and yes, the launch and landing access for kiteboarding at the Event Site is still over for the season.

But, there is hope, yes my brothers and sisters, there is hope.
Hope may be found at these excellent and available launches that you may have either used in the past, or may just be discovering:

SANDSPIT :
Where it all began, the original sandbar parking lot, land of the beginning.
http://nwkite.com/guides/hood_river_sandbar/
When taking the same exit for the Event Site, and after turning left towards the Event Site and then right towards the basin, instead of making a left hand turn to the Event Site, make a right turn and drive past the gas station, following the road over to the Sandspit access road. Follow the access road to the parking lot. Pump in the pumping area, and then walk your gear out to the edge of the water to launch. Be aware that this is shallow flatwater until you get out to the red buoy where the deeper water is.

HOOD RIVER MARINA BEACH :
Just like the Event Site with Grass, but nice sandy beaches and parking right along the waterfront. On I-84, go past the Event Site/Hood River exit and take the next off ramp for EXIT 64. Turn left under I-84, then take a left at the stop light intersection follow the left-most entrance road that will take you in and around the Boat Marina and Soccer Fields. Keep following the road until it ends at the beach area. Parking will be directly to your left and right along the waterfront.
Rig/Pump your kite at the beach front area, either on the grass or sand, then walk your gear out as far as you can to reach the windline or making sure to launch where the wind feels filled in the strongest.
Launch and landing is limited on a busy day, so rig up and go or land and pack up as efficiently and quick as you can so as to allow others a safe area to navigate.

marina plan.jpg 

Last edited by cgka on Sat Jun 09, 12 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat Jun 09, 12 11:19 am     Reply with quote

I believe you mean June 9/10 in the title

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 09, 12 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
I believe you mean June 9/10 in the title

Sorry, the 50F temperature outside this morning made me thing it was still May Embarassed

Thank you for catching that and let us know Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: