Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Getting Started
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Fleisch24

Since 04 Jun 2012
3 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jun 04, 12 12:58 pm    Getting Started Reply with quote

So i know you see a lot of these but i am completely new to kite boarding and i am looking for some advice.

I first would like to establish that will be taking lessons.

I went into a shop and a guy quoted me a general price of about 2500 for lessons and everything i need (lessons are 550). I felt like the price was a little high but i really have no clue. I would be purchasing a 2012 Slingshot Rally 12m and a Slingshot board that i believe was around 140cm.

Ironically some guy got hurt in the area and is selling his 2010 Slingshot Key 13m (only has one year of use bought it as old model last year). So in an attempt to save some money i thought i might offer him something but really have no idea what to offer. Or if makes sense to buy the older Key over the newer Rally. I do not want to have to buy another Kite again in a year or two.

Im about 6'6'' and weigh 190lbs if that is of any use for choosing between the kites.

Also i was in moment and bought a Slingshot B3 Trainer kite that is a lot of fun. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 12 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

I have the Slingshot Keys 10m and 13M and like them so far (i currently weigh 200lbs).

Main question is where do you intend to kite? with a 12m or 13m you won't have many days you can go out in the gorge. If you know where you are planning on going for the most part it will determine the size for you. There are spots with Higher average wind than others.

Typically you'd want to stock a 3 kite quiver (maybe 2) to start. The broader range of kites you have the more wind range you'll be able to cover.

For example the 13m key has a suggested range from 10-20mph, the 10m has 15-25mph and of course being on the edges of the wind range can make it a bit difficult to fly.

achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 12 1:42 pm    Re: Getting Started Reply with quote

Fleisch24 wrote:
So i know you see a lot of these but i am completely new to kite boarding and i am looking for some advice.

I first would like to establish that will be taking lessons.

I went into a shop and a guy quoted me a general price of about 2500 for lessons and everything i need (lessons are 550). I felt like the price was a little high but i really have no clue. I would be purchasing a 2012 Slingshot Rally 12m and a Slingshot board that i believe was around 140cm.

Ironically some guy got hurt in the area and is selling his 2010 Slingshot Key 13m (only has one year of use bought it as old model last year). So in an attempt to save some money i thought i might offer him something but really have no idea what to offer. Or if makes sense to buy the older Key over the newer Rally. I do not want to have to buy another Kite again in a year or two.

Im about 6'6'' and weigh 190lbs if that is of any use for choosing between the kites.

Also i was in moment and bought a Slingshot B3 Trainer kite that is a lot of fun. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Get the lesson, but look for new closeout equipment. you can get a 2011 rally for maybe 1200 (new). Get a used board as they are extremely tough. You should be able to get a great used board for $300 or less. some people buy used kites, I dont think it is worth the risk unless they are practically new.

I have paid $800- $1200 for my three kites which were all new but "last years model" (6m rally $850, 10m crossbow $800, 13m crossbow $1200).

How many hours are your lessons? I dont know what the going rate is in the gorge, but it should be about $70/hour. 3 is ok, but 6-9 can have you feeling way more comfortable.

$420 for 6 hours of lessons (might be able to go upwind after 6 hours)
1200 for a large kite (with bar)
900 for a medium kite (with bar)
$300 for a large board used
$100 for a harness - buy new so you can get a good fit - usually have good deals on closeouts
$75 for a helmet (buy new so you can get a good fit )
$75 for an impact vest (buy new so you can get a good fit )

About 3K all in.

In the classifieds, someone is selling a 12m switchblade (2011) for i think 900 and 9m for 800. They said they are still crispy.

Those are a very good deal as switchblades are very well respected kites.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Jun 04, 12 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

When you're new kite range means nothing as you haven't learned to ride efficiently yet so don't think if it's blowing 10 it's a given you and that 13M will be out riding.

Don't buy gear but do buy your lessons, talk to your instructor and absorb information like a sponge during that process to better understand what is the right option of kite and board for you and realize, lessons, harness, boards and used kite quiver to get you started is a $2,500+ scenario so the quote you got was accurate.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 04, 12 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

If you can only afford one kite, a 12 or 13 is as good a choice as any other for your first kite.
You know that there will be many days when you it will be too windy, but that's the trade off if you can only afford 1 kite.
Spend your money on lessons first, before building your quiver.
I found that the 13m was my favorite kite while I was learning. It's forgiving and light winds tend to be steady winds. I'm 6'3 and 190.

Get the Rally. I have friends who learned on the Key and quickly outgrew it's limitations. The Rally is just as easy to learn on and will be a better kite as you progress.
Eventually, for a guy your size, a 7, 10, 12 would be a great quiver.
p.s. - you're gonna want a bigger board than 140, especially when you're learning. Find a more appropriate board to learn on (best to borrow), until you can stay upwind.
you can learn on a 140, but you'll progress 3 times quicker if you have a big big board.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 04, 12 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't buy gear but do buy your lessons, talk to your instructor and absorb information like a sponge during that process to better understand what is the right option of kite and board for you and realize, lessons, harness

Ditto... get lessons before buying gear. For the first couple of years I bought used gear (1 year old for 1/2 new) and tried a lot of different kites before learning what I liked. Then you can start investing in the gear that works for you..

Fleisch24

Since 04 Jun 2012
3 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jun 04, 12 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information.

What is the lifespan of a kite with moderate usage. I see everyone is saying ideally its good to have more then one kite but i obviously cant be buying 3 new kites every year... or every 3 years for that matter....

Also the offer for the used 2010 technology wise is almost 3 years old right? When does Slingshot or other companies come out with new models?

achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostMon Jun 04, 12 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

you can replace or repair just about every part on it. Who knows where the technology will go. They will be flyable for many years (at least 5?) but you will have replaced bar/bar parts, lines, maybe valves and the bladder. Plus repaired any rips/tears in the canopy.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 04, 12 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

Dont buy anything until after your lesson. It will save you alot of money in the long run.

Where are you planning on kiting most of the time? If it's somewhere light wind then a 12m might be good but if it's here in the gorge I would go with a 8m of 9m instead.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 05, 12 8:13 am     Reply with quote

Fleisch24 wrote:
When does Slingshot or other companies come out with new models?

it seems like august is when companies start pushing the first part of their next years line, but definitely offer an updated or new model every year.

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 05, 12 8:40 am     Reply with quote

What OG said is correct. Just like cars they try to do upgrades to make them better. From what I've researched and heard is that the "newer" the better, but as a beginner myself your first kite or two will end up taking quite a beating, so getting a used kite probably would be a better way to go, but keep it close to the current year. i.e. 2010 or newer in my opinion. Also Bow, Hybrid Deltas will have more wind range and typically more de-power than C kites. It's not just the Size that matters.

I'd focus on Safety features, De-powerability, re-launchability, and wind range. But all this would be covered in your first few hours of lessons.

As others said, and from my experience, hit your lesson first before getting your kites.

As a prep for the lessons, and your sure you want to do this, get a wetsuit and harness (try them on for best fit).

Fleisch24

Since 04 Jun 2012
3 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jun 05, 12 9:47 am     Reply with quote

I called up a Slingshot rep and apparently there is a good combo deal with a Z Kite and a Ignition board for beginners. He did list several differences between the Z and Rally non of which i could repeat... But i think the general feel is the Z would be better for starting but the Rally would last me longer...

But like all of you guys said... I am taking lessons before i buy anything...

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 05, 12 10:30 am     Reply with quote

Yupp packages typically are good to get started. Still before you buy figure out where your going to be kiteing the most and get the best kite for the "normal" wind at that location, until you can start building your quiver.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Jun 05, 12 11:52 am     Reply with quote

Some food for thought-

In the last 2-3 years most brands have come out with new kites and have discontinued them within only 1-2 years. It might be better to go with an established kite model that the company itself deems worthy to continue producing. Many of the kites that were new and then discontinued were beginner-oriented kites. Also, many of the features that make kites beginner-friendly (like easy-relaunch and good depower) have been incorporated into the flagship models in 2011/2012, essentially creating a kite that can be used from beginner to early-advanced stages of riding.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jun 05, 12 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

take up bowling Twisted Evil

I have been flying fuels for almost ten years

I have flown and owned dozens of others brands and shapes and sizes.

they still make Fuels and I still fly them after ten years ,they might be good I guess,

unless you want a kite that compromises performance and simplicity for sales to the masses.

Now I just need to get good. I can't blame the kites.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

soundwave

Since 02 Jul 2010
21 Posts
Astoria

PostWed Jun 06, 12 5:50 am     Reply with quote

Achen:
What hack shack is teaching 6hrs for $420? You sure it's legit? $70 an hour for a Kiteboard lesson is SCARY! If they are that cheap they must be a shitty instructor to value themselves so low, just saying. I would be scared of getting lessons from someone that cheap. Be some fly thru town stoner funding his homeless summer kiting and having your life in his hands.

When you get your lessons the kite school should have great priced packages. All have different prices.

I bought my kite package from air pirates kiteboarding a year ago and I got my lesson for free. I paid full price on the complete package but it was still the same price and lower than most other shops offered and my lesson was free. Had me up and riding in a day.

A buddy of mine just bought a package at kite paddle surf and got free lesson from them too but their up in Bellingham.
Basically all new kites are great and safe. Lots of brands out their other than slingshot that everyone worships here. I'm personally not a big fan of them. Call some other schools and see what they can do for you. What kite you get will depend on riding wind condition and your riding style.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jun 06, 12 6:43 am     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
Now I just need to get good. I can't blame the kites.

Quote of the day. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: